Author Topic: Changes?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Changes?
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:58:47 am »
Because of the recent Image Shack malware problem I am considering removing the ability to link to outside images. This would leave the option of uploading the images to this server as the only means of sharing pictures. This has the downside of having to understand how to format the picture to the specs for this forum.

I need your input. It will never be possible to completely protect you from the possibility of getting hit by malware but I want to do all I can to help. Give me your thoughts. Do I remove the ability to embed outside images and make things more difficult but maybe safer? Do I let the embed code remain and just post a warning that clicking outside links can be dangerous?

tux_linux

Re: Changes?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:18:12 am »
I would not even care about that.

As you pointed out, there can not be a total protection. Not linking outside images does not help, as everyone is still able to set links to outside pages (even when just posted as text).

regards
Torsten

Mainewoods

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:01:03 am »
I agree with Torsten.  No way to completely stop it.  People really need to make sure their own systems are as protected as possible, so if they do click on an infected link, they'll be less likely to catch anything.  I liken it to keeping your immunizations up to date....if you don't keep things up to date, don't complain when you get "sick".

My 2 cents!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:41:05 am »
For those of us who are computer challenged, (and did catch the virus), it is totally up to you Steve.  You made a comment on the last tutorial about there being another lesson forthcoming on posting pictures.  I tried to do it the way you explained but could not get it right.  I am enrolling in a class at the local community college to try to get up to speed on my computer.  I still feel that viewing the pictures here are relatively safe and will continue to do so.  If you choose to only allow uploads directly to the server, would it be possible to put out a tutorial on a step by step proceedure to accomplish this?  I know from other posts that I am not the only one who struggles with this.

To mainwoods, I am up to date and am not "complaining" that I got "sick".  I am simply trying to correct the situation.  The icon that appeared on the AV8 virus LOOKED like the icon on my antivirus program, it asked me if I wanted it to fix it and I clicked "yes".  That was where I went wrong - lesson learned.  I did manage to remove the virus but it also took something else out of my computer that allowes me to view videos.  My son is trying to help me.

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:42:49 am »
Steve,

I say leave it as is and post a warning that clicking on outside links can be dangerous.

Bill

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 09:46:05 am »
Only one problem in a BIG bunch of posts over the time the forum has been open Steve.  More protection always means less freedoms and less functionality.  It's your playground, but I wouldn't touch a thing!  Thanks as always for everything you do for all of us!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:14:34 am »
I feel that virtually everyone has been made acutely aware that an 'attack' CAN happen even on a forum as well run and friendly as ours. It did not come from anyone 'within our forum'.
We all enjoy so much seeing the works of others and I personally feel that if I had not had the ability to give folks a link to my projects that I would not have taken the time to post each and every photo. Others may feel the same way...we had to go through the gyrations to set up our 'albums' at whatever location, feeling that those places were safe and just would not feel like doing so again.

Everyone who frequents this forum has seen the results of what CAN happen and should be more vigilant in their protection of their own computers. We all 'surf the web' and are subject to attacks but if we keep our guard up we should be OK.

I say for myself that things are fine as they are and everyone should be vigilant and conscious of the need to be FULLY protected. We have a "Computer Corner" right here to help should anything unforeseen happen and stand ready to help each other as needed.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:52 am »
I agree it is up to you as the user to protect your system but on that note I would add a disclaimer.
 Don't change it I say.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:19 am »
As one of those that got "hit".  Oh well it was time to clean house on the computer anyway.  It is a chance we take any time we are on the computer.
This forum is worth the risk....it got me through the winter :) 
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:56 am »
JUDY!

How are things up on the 'plains'?

Warming up a bit?

Happy V Day to you!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:52:45 am »
Why thank you GB. Happy V day to you too.
Yes it is really melting here on the plains.  It got so warm the other day I slipped on my bikini and went sunning myself on top of a snow bank.

I never tell a lie unless I am alone or with someone  :D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:49:31 pm »
I'm with all before me has said, it don't matter where on the internet you roam you are at risk. BEWARE

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »
I think posting a warning like you said and adding not to post pics if you are using image shack should be enough. I clicked on the images from there after reading that some got a virus just to see if my anti virus program would catch it and it did. I use the free version of avast.
I've never had a virus since using it but it has stopped several. Just a suggestion :)

Becky

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:15:31 pm »
There's risk in just being on the internet.  While I think I could probably figure out how to directly upload a pic, it's a lot more convienent to do it by link and I'm sure it saves server space for you, Steve.

It's your site and your call but I would vote with the others who say leave it be.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 01:33:40 am »
Okay thanks folks. Seems pretty unanimous to leave things alone. Julie and Judy I feel terrible that you got hit. One of my hobbies is researching computer security and I know how wicked the AV8 virus has been. I see the results of it several times a year working with individuals and at work.  Don't beat your self up about your computer skills. These things are the result of companies not doing their work to make the software safer and not the result of you not understanding how to run a computer.

Here are a couple of quick tips. Don't feel you are invulnerable just because you have anti-virus installed. There are several anti-virus programs that did not and still don't stop the AV8 scam. If you can afford the price ESET NOD32 anti-virus is the best there is in my opinion. I think it's around $60 a year but it sure can save a bunch of headaches.

Okay now for a statement that almost always gets cat calls. If you get infected there is only one solution. format and reload. You are going to hear lots of folks tell you that there are removal tools and there are but here is the catch. Once your computer has been compromised you have no way to know if the removal software completely removed the bad stuff. Viruses today want to be stealth. They are trying to use your machine as a zombie in a denial of service attack or they want to steal you personal information. They don't want to be found out. Trust me on this. Format and reload.

Always, always always have all your pictures and important documents backed up. So many times I have tried to convince someone to format and reload but they wanted to save their pictures so they had someone use a removal tool. This got their pictures back but at what future cost. The only good news here is that the bad guys have stolen so many credit card numbers that they probably will never be able to use them all. Does not make you feel real safe does it.

I get a few hundred emails a day from readers. That means I'm on the email contact list of thousands of email clients. I will typically see 30 or more a day where the email client of the person sending the email is compromised. Their computer is being used to send out spam without their knowledge. I even see this happen from people that I know are computer literate. It's not the users fault. These things need to be fixed by Microsoft and others. You should not have to know how to rebuild an engine to drive your car.

SMF

Teknoromi