Author Topic: Did I Make The Right Choice  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
Did I Make The Right Choice
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:04:42 am »
G'day Everyone.
Before joining the scrollsaw workshop community I'd been looking at a number of different models. To help me make up my mind I chewed up many gigabytes and sleepless hours looking at forums hell west and crookered. I started looking namely at el cheapo's because I don't know how long my interest in scrollsawing was gunna last. It didn't take long to realise that to take the best shoot at learning and producing reasonable work I'd need to look a little bit higher up the range. My final three saw's were a Ryobi ESW1240, Dewalt DW788 and the Excalibur 21.

By last Saturday arvo I had after hours of reading scrollsaw forums managed to scratched out the Ryobi ESW1240.
The availability of spare parts was of concern to me and the last two on my list appeared to be well covered in that area pretty good here in Australia. Youtube video's I found helpful and this morning after a restless nights sleep I placed my order and my new machine should be here mid next week.
Oh what have I done......................lol.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: Did I Make The Right Choice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:45:09 am »
you should enjoy your new machine, which one did you finally opt for?
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29:26 am »
I believe you left out the name of the one you ordered.  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SheGold

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:28:51 am »
Well all I can say is way to go on your new machine. Once you start scrolling you'll be hooked... Sheila

stipes

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:25:00 pm »
Well you didnt start out cheep like the first one I bought a Craftsman, but it was a dang good starter saw to see if i would like scrolling, and now why I have my EX 21 and droll all over it...LOL!!

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »
Think my first saw was about as cheap as you can go. A rebuilt Dremel (12 years ago) from Harbor Freight and it arrived broken. Husband fixed it and I am still at it. Fought that thing for a year or so, with difficult blade changing even with a kit that made it a tiny bit easier. Then came the DeWalt 788. It is still chugging along and so am I.
Pat B

stipes

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »
Think my first saw was about as cheap as you can go. A rebuilt Dremel (12 years ago) from Harbor Freight and it arrived broken. Husband fixed it and I am still at it. Fought that thing for a year or so, with difficult blade changing even with a kit that made it a tiny bit easier. Then came the DeWalt 788. It is still chugging along and so am I.
Pat B
Well I say this EX 21 will outlast me....LOL!!

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »
Congrats on the new saw. I think you did a good job crossing out the ryobi. Which one did you order?

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:31:46 pm »
I decided on the....................................Excalibur EX21.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:25:49 pm »
oh yes, you made a great choice! That will be my next saw, someday.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:24:06 am »
You will only have to do a couple of things on the saw and you will be addicted to it for life.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:23 am »
I have the DW 788 and could not be happier with it.  That said, one day I plan to move up to the Excalibur.

I hope you enjoy your new saw.  I think you will be amazed at what a good saw will do for your scrolling enjoyment. 

Good luck,
Barry

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:49:24 am »
Way to go, congrats I know you will be very pleased with your choice. ;D ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 07:46:53 am »
Well good news this mornin' my new scroll saw arrived down in the city at my mates business, wasn't expected until next week.
Big problem, there's a matter of a flooded river, three flooded creeks and an overflowing dam on my property that wont allow me to get out to the highway so I can go get it. Our states been hit by some big storms over the last few days. If things weren't bad enough this evening just on dark the heavens opened up and now it's gunna be days before I can even think about an attempt to get outa here.
So close......... Yet so far...................

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:56:35 pm »
Yes, you made a good choice.  I have a DeWalt 788 and an Ex 16.  Love them both.   I hope the water receeds soon so you can get started.  After all that research, I feel certain you'll be hooked in no time.  Anticipation is great fun.
MOONIE

SMF

Teknoromi