Author Topic: F Keys  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: F Keys
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 04:23:18 pm »
It is only on laptop or notebook computers. You won't normally find the FN key on a desktop computer keyboard.  8)

Fn, or 'Function', is a modifier key usually for laptop keyboards, used in a compact layout to combine keys which are usually kept separate on a larger desktop keyboard. It is typically found on laptops, since a full sized keyboard would be difficult to fit in a laptop chassis. AW  8)  8)  8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:23:22 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

tux_linux

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 05:45:24 pm »
*lol*

If you believe it or not - my keyboard for my desktop has a Fn-key: Logitech K300 Keyboard

...but to keep it real: The Fn-Key on this on is a bit different to the ones on laptops.

regards
Torsten

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 06:05:31 pm »
That  must be why I can't locate it. 
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

tux_linux

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 07:57:01 am »
Mike, there is help ahead  ;D

Sharpkeys @ randyrants.com

A pretty cool util (freeware of course!). It lets you remap your keys.

For example, I do always remap the "Caps" to a normal "Shift" key. Otherwise I intend to press the caps by accident and write things in big letters - AnD ThIs CaN Be VeRy AnNoYiNg  ;D :o ;D

regards
Torsten

ChuckD

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 10:59:38 pm »
Thanks Torsten, I took the time to DO ALL THIS and iCAN'T SEEM TO GET IT TO WORK.  The Cap lock goes on even just hit it and when I HIT BOTH still get both. How do I get just the shf-Caplock to work?  I am a long way from a computer whatever. TIA

tux_linux

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 01:47:48 am »
OK, short instruction on how to use SharpKeys.

First - let me explain some things:

The modification can always be reversed or edited easily.
The program will not be installed and is downloaded from the originator himself. So it should be fairly safe and virus free.

Here is the instruction for Windows-User (both WinXP and Win7):

- Download this ZIP-file. It should be clean and safe as it comes from the originator himself.

- unpack the ZIP. There are 4 files in there: 1 FAQ, 1 licence-text, 1 URL-file and of course the program - an *.exe-file.

- start the program "SharpKeys.exe". It does not install at all or do anything to your computer by now. So it's safe to take a simple look.

- pass the info-dialog and you will see the program surface. On the photo is my modification already listed.

- press "add" and you will get the dialog to add new key conversions.

- choose the key you want to remap on the left list - and the key you want to make it on the right list. But it is simpler to use the functions "Type Key" to get the correct selection.

- press "OK" to accept.

- press "write Registry" to store those changes and reboot to load the new key mapping.

As mentioned above - it is absolutely safe to try this. You can always delete and/or change the key mappings.

regards
Torsten

ChuckD

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 03:22:26 pm »
Well, got it where the Cap locks don't work anymore, even when I try to push Shift and Cap locks at the same time which is what I was trying to do. At least The Shift Key Works.  I get a lot of help from a guy named Murphy every time I try to do something with this typewriter with a TV screen.  In fact, he helps everywhere.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 06:46:04 pm »
Hey I know that guy! He hangs out with me all the time!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 04:29:55 am »
If it ain't broke don't fix it.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile