Author Topic: OMG!!!!  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
OMG!!!!
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:50:37 am »
While I was checking out a link someone had on here......I was hit with a virus from hell.  Something to do with AVG saying I had 20+ "bad things" some of which were critical.  Being the dummy that I am I clicked on the button that said click here to fix.   My regular computer is off being formatted and cleaned up. So in the mean time I am using this little MINIPUTER and I feel like a monkey making love to a baseball.  In other words I won't be real active here for a while.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: OMG!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:56:56 am »
I actually don't think it was from here or we would have heard from others also....

You MUST be very cautious of those "Warnings" and not trust them.

There are a couple of them that are widespread and very nasty.

One is the "XP Pro virus that will tear up your machine...

GrayBeard

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »
What you probably got was the AV8 virus. What is av8 scan? The av8 virus causes computers to show fake av8 scan so non suspecting pc users may be lured to buy the virus av8 anti virus. It has caused allot of problems on the net.

Also you might have gotten it from photo links to Image Shack. It has come to my attention that there may be issues with Image Shack images initiating various viruses when clicking on the thumbnails to view larger images. Several people have notified me of a problem.

I realize that not everyone has experienced this issue. I don't feel this is from any forum members, but rather a problem with Image Shack that has been persistent and reported for several years now.

It is STRONGLY advised that users avoid clicking on thumbnail views from Image Shack and also advised that users switch to using another web based storage / posting sources such as Photobucket or others. I have tried to go through and delete all the links causing problems. It seems to be isolated to the most recent posts/links.

I have posted warnings on this issue and I am sorry to hear you are one of the victims.  8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:35:02 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

grampa

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:41:30 pm »
Judy Hunter " I feel like a monkey making love to a baseball." just out of Curiosity, how do you know.......Paul

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:25:05 pm »
Judy and Paul, I think the saying is "with a football" but maybe Judy's monkey likes them round. :)

grampa

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:56:10 pm »

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »
Yes Russ it happened while going to an image shack link.
San we tell if someone's thumnail will bring up Image Shack???
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:06:34 pm »
Baseball...football ...all depends on the size of the monkey to create the visual  ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10:10 am »
Sorry you got bit!
I was just very fortunate that I didn't tumble to it too, as I'm an AVG user, I almost clicked it.
I reported it as soon as my AV scan was through, I wish I could have been sooner for your sake.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:36:43 am »
ImageShack seems to have rather quickly gotten this taken care of.  I use IS all the time and only had one set of pictures that have been affected.  I still scan everything though, just to be on the safe side.  Just goes to show you the importance of having a good active up to date virus scan.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

marmoh

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:42 pm »
LMAO... :o :o :o  It's late...I'm alone ... what's all this talk about monkey's and balls ???

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:15 am »
I was thinking about the seveer cold here in relation to the above!

Does everyone know the origin of that famous expression about being cold?

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: OMG!!!! Brass Monkey
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 04:07:55 am »
I do, I do, Pick mee. LOL

Back in the day when canon fired round balls, before the cylindrical shells of today. They had to stack the balls next to the canon, but being round how do you keep them from rolling away. This is where the brass monkey comes in. It was formed with depressions for the bottom balls to rest in so they could stack on top in a pyramid fashion. Brass expands and contracts with changes in temperature. If it got cold enough so the story goes it would shrink enough that the balls would roll off. Hence the term, "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey", and you always thought it was something naughty!
LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 07:15:54 am »
Gabby,  Thanks for the history lesson.  I love to know the origins of sayings.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 09:22:31 am »
Very Well done, Gabby!

For a 'newbie' you have shown profound knowledge and interest in scrolling and in communicating with the other members of this great Forum!

I feel that you should be awarded a Gold Star!
However it is too darn cold for me to do any cutting so I hope one of the other "Elders" will be kind enough to make and present one to you.

Any Takers among you "Elders"?

~~~GrayBeard~~~

SMF

Teknoromi