Author Topic: Do you think this is a safe site?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Do you think this is a safe site?
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:50:51 am »
It says it's legit but then we know not everything we read we should believe.
It has a download that has an .exe.  So I stopped right there

http://www.music-oasis.com/download/Audio/Music-Oasis

I read their privacy policy and terms pages.  Not sure what some of it means when they refer to installing advertisements etc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:56:42 am by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

tux_linux

Re: Do you think this is a safe site?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »
well - they are actually providing this tool called "Music Oasis". Is it some kind of player? Some selectable music program? Never heard about this one.

I use www.shoutcast.com - they have a wide range of internet radio stations and are able to run via winamp and are also able to provide a player via web interface (using the Windows Media Player-Plugin).

regards
Torsten

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:32:21 pm »
Must be a pretty popular site...lots of info on 'google' and AVG seems to think it is free of nasty stuff.

http://www.google.com/search?q=music+oasis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'm just trying to be cautious before I download anything from online sites.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:09:50 am »
Dunk you need to get a Pop up blocker and Avast anti virus program (free Home use) think of it as the door man to your upscale computer club It stops most things at the door.  

www.avast.com/index
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:13:49 am by Chachi »

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:05:48 am »
Google Pack inkl. Spyware Doctor detecting also Spyware, Adware, Trojaner und Keylogger.

regards
Torsten

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:23:08 am »
you can not scan websites. This is also not needed, as it would make using the Internet frustrating.

you can check your PC regularly and let it alarm you when it thinks something is wrong.

You can also read what your PC tells you. Yes - those little fast clicked popup's do have a certain function. And those dialogs while installing are not just there to fill some space and to keep you busy.

A computer is a small, dumb machine. It actual needs people to tell him what to do and how to do it. And if it does not how to do it, it just stops.
Even our cat is far more intelligent.

regards
Torsten

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 10:30:51 am »
I already use avast.  Thanks for the tips. I did some more research and decided against the download.  I found several discussions talking about malware and a trojan so no sense taking a chance.
Mike

SD Scroller

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:58:33 am »
With my MacBook Pro, i have nothing to worry about.  Come to the other side of computing and be worry free!!

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:02:38 pm »
Switching to a mac would be a whole other learning curve.  I'm too old and computer illiterate to try that move.  Besides none of my pc software would work then, right?
Mike

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 01:05:43 pm »
I listen to "Pandora.com"!

easy to use and basically 'programmable'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 12:28:14 am »
DUCT TAPE!!!

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 03:53:23 pm »
I listen to pandora as well but I was looking for a site where I could download free music legally for my mp3 player.
Mike

SMF

Teknoromi