Author Topic: VHS tapes to CD  (Read 1002 times)

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
VHS tapes to CD
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:42:41 pm »
 Has anyone ever transferred VHS tapes to CD, if so what is the best one to buy,I have been checking out Roxio, but not really sure. Any suggestions helpful.  Thanks  Edward

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: VHS tapes to CD
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:58:14 pm »
I use a product called Pinnacle Studio. It comes with a piece of hardware that plugs into the USB on your computer and the Video Out on your VCR. It also has video/audio editing software. I have a VCR that lives under my printer. You can transfer to your hardrive or directly to DVD. I have transfered all my kids movies to DVD. You can edit out anything you don't want to save. 45 minutes of watching a baby roll back and forth in a crib can be reduced to 5 minutes, which is plenty.☺ And I can share the videos over the internet.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:02:14 am »
One problem I found when backing up commercial VHS tapes to DVD (for my own use only!!) was the copy protection embedded in the VHS tapes.  I had to buy an inexpensive "digital video stabilizer and color corrector" before I could copy the VHS to the DVD.

I also had purchased a combined VHS and DVD player recorder which was supposed to transfer from VHS to DVD.  It would not transfer the commercial VHS tapes because of the copy protection but I expect it would work with non-commercial tapes.  I had a VHS player and a DVD recorder with the video stabilizer in between and could then transfer from VHS to DVD.

Good luck.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:31:55 am »
did that 10 years ago and used several TV/video cards and solutions.
pinnacle is one of the best.

just play the video on the VHS player and put a SCART cable in the back and connect that to the TV/Video card or USB device.
never had problems with copy protection this way.
(back then processor type and memory of the PC gave the most problems with interlacing)

rendering to special format or compositions might take some time.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi