Author Topic: transfer pattern to flash drive  (Read 1908 times)

Dean A

transfer pattern to flash drive
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »
Hello,

Most of the time I print Steves patterns right from my computer to my printer. I make a copy of the patterns I like, then I take the patterns to Kinkos and run several copies to have on hand in case I want to make another project.

Kinkos copy machine accepts flash drives, so I figured I would copy the patterns to the flash drive and go to kinkos and make my copies there so I cut down on using all my wifes ink on her printer. The problem is, I don't know how to get the patterns on the flash drive. Is it even possible to do this?

I'm clueless when it comes to computers

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: transfer pattern to flash drive
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:41 pm »
IF you are that clueless about computers then an explanation would be useless. It requires transferring a file from the computer to the flash drive and that gets in to some interesting computer lingo which you may not understand.
IF you have a teenage neighbor or a grandchild they may be able to show you!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:41:30 pm »
Dean, a flash drive is just like any other drive, you can open it in Windows explorer (assuming you are using a computer with the Windows operating system) and copy file from your hard drive to the flash drive.  If you are using an Apple product, perhaps someone else on the forum can help you. 

The files containing Steve's patterns usually have 3 or more pages and usually you only want to print the pages with the pattern.  If you take the whole file to Kinko's, you may get all the pages printed, unless you can get them to print only the pages you need.

I hope this helps you get to where you want to go with the files.
Jim

Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:03:52 am »
I would load a PDF writer.  I use PrimoPDF. 

Free download at

http://www.primopdf.com/.

Open Steve's pattern and go to the print of the PDF viewer you are using (Abobe??) and instead of selecting your wife's printer select the Primoprinter. 

Select the pages you want printed and save to the flash drive.

I have tried to demonstate in the attached pages.

Dean A

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »
Thanks Don,

I downloaded the program and I did get the files on the flash drive . It even shows the files as jpeg, which I believe you need the format to be if your going to use the copy machine. The only thing is when I click on the file so I can make sure I did it right , I get a message that says " Windows photo viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format or don't have latest updates"

If it's a jpeg, shouldn't I be able to see it? I pulled it up on gimp and it showed up.

Anyways, the file is on the flashdrive...I'm almost there

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 02:53:24 pm »
I am not sure you would get a jpeg. 

You should get a PDF.  Make sure you don't specify jpg when saving.  Make a PDF that should be the default.

I would imagine Kinkos will print pdfs.

Don

Dean A

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 03:20:33 pm »
hmm, I never specified jpeg. I did what you showed me although, when I look at my directory on my flash drive it has "jpeg image" as the type and "19kb" as the size .

Something is on the flash drive, although when I double click the file I get that message that I told you about in the last reply. I might just take it up there and see if it works. I'm going to print the patterns the old fashion way just in case this doesn't work so I'm not wasting a trip.

I'll let you know how it goes soon, I'm planning on going today. I'm out of projects right now and need some patterns to cut.

Thanks again Don

Dean A

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 11:33:11 am »
ok, couldn't try it out yesterday. After my last reply, I started printing out a couple patterns and while I was printing someone had left a phone charger on top of the printer. I didn't notice it and it fell into the printer where the paper sits and it wrapped up inside.

Needless to say that screwed the whole day up. Luckly we had another printer, but I had to run out and get ink for it. It's up and running now, so hopefully I can get up to Kinkos and try the flash drive trick

Dean A

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 05:49:13 pm »

Hey Don, it worked with the flashdrive. Thank you for your help

Hey Greybeard.....I said I was clueless...not stupid

king310

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 05:51:41 pm »
I think I would just keep printing from the wife?s printer and buy her some ink.......it will be a lot cheaper than driving to kinkos every time i wanted a pattern...... or just buy your own printer (CHEAP ONE) and then you don't bother your wife. You can generally buy one for very little money. You can get one for under $100 at staples. That is an all in one then you can make your own copies, and do not need to waste gas to get a copy. ;D ;D ;D

tdub4ever

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 05:41:19 am »
I agree with king310, but this is what I do with some patterns I want to add my touch to. Open the .pdf and zoom out till the whole page of what you want to copy is in the window, under the "edit" tab click on "take snapshot" then click on the page you want. (I) Open inkscape, click on paste, make your modifications (or not) and "save as" file you want. Works for me.

SMF

Teknoromi