Author Topic: Wooden Padlock  (Read 1536 times)

lar4348

Wooden Padlock
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:07:58 pm »
Hi Steve,

I am making the wooden padlock that was in your catelog of patterns.

I cut out the inside piece that rises up to release the latch.  It's in the shape of an "L".

Anyway, I am using 3/8 Aspen and I cut to to exact size of pattern.  I thought ahead of time that I could not see how this
piece would hold up for strength.  I hardly pressed down at it snapped on the corner of the "L'

Should or do you recommend a particular type of wood that will be able to hold this shape.

Thanks!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Wooden Padlock
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:59:12 pm »
Hello, I'm not Steve, but I think I can answer your question. I just looked at the pattern you are asking about. I would use a good quality plywood for the working parts. Use Baltic birch plywood. It is available at hardwood dealers or online. Here is one source: www.sloanswoodshop.com. Good luck!
Please go over to the introduction page and introduce yourself so we can welcome you better!
Dan In Southern California

daliclimbs

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:26 pm »
I'm with dgman.. I have made one of these and I used Baltic ply.. haven't had any problems with weakness..

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:13:16 pm »
I agree, Baltic Birch plywood is the way to go. I buy mine from Sloans Woodshop also.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

jason03151980

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:24:23 pm »
steve also has a video of  hime with this lock this may help u out he better explains it there
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sdgood#p/u/41/MEW__gYuXn4

SMF

Teknoromi