Author Topic: drillling holes  (Read 1207 times)

navymancdf

drillling holes
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:52:58 am »
I have to re cut one part of my project because i did not drill perfectly plum.  Do you guys have any advice on a cheap guide i dont have the money for a drill press right now. 

Thank You

Corey

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: drillling holes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:28:08 pm »
You could try something like this: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003121/11022/Precision-Drill-Guide.aspx
I have something similar hanging on the wall that I don't use. It's your's if you want it. Just pay shipping!
Dan In Southern California

daliclimbs

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »
Dgman has a good suggestion, and a generous offer. I used something very similar until I saved the money to get a press. They work pretty well And will probably help you a lot..

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
They also make a similar devise for a dremel.

I would love a new drill press, but I just can't kill mine. It is a harbor freight special from the year I was born (1984).

Good Luck

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:01:46 pm »
oh Katie - you are and will always be our biddy  :D

Corey, I'm currently also just using a mobile drill. It's mostly a matter of practice to get the hole drilled correct. As long a the area is big enough, keep the holes away from the lines and invest the longer saw run to the cutting line.
On small areas use the smallest possible drill. You might find the wood hanging a little beveled on the blade when you put it in, so you'll have to get it straight first. Turn the wood in a safe direction (waste area in front and back of blade) and hold it down while switching the saw on. The blade will come straight and the wood lay on the saw table. Needs a bit of training but you'll get used to it.

And YES, I'm looking forward to getting a drill press. Just a little one - might even be one for a Dremel tool....

navymancdf

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »
dgman did you get my message if not just let me know what the cost of shipping is and were to send it to thank you so much

corey

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:06:46 am »
I sent you a PM.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 11:36:53 am »
MRSN,
I have one of those Harbor Freight drill presses from around 1984 myself. Bought it new as a matter of fact, and I don't think you can get a new one that works any better for the price. Mine was around $65.00 as I recall.
Mine is the bench top model and I have used the heck out of it for all these years and she never gave me a bit of problem.
You just might want to think about it before you "Trade up".  ;)
Newer isn't always better if you know what I mean.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 09:52:51 pm »
Here's the one from Harbor Freight I also got a few years ago:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-drill-press-38119.html

BUT, I just got their December flyer in the mail and it is now $49.99 until Dec 31!  As noted above, this drill press will more than pay for itself over it's life span.  The only thing I've changed is the belt (although I would like to get a new chuck key).

Karl

SMF

Teknoromi