Author Topic: Am I in trouble?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Am I in trouble?
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:44:18 pm »
I take patterns from books and change them.  This is an example of the pattern as it was in the book and my finished piece.  I do this with many patterns.  Is this wrong? can I take credit for the design?

[attachment deleted by admin]
I'm from North Dakota

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Am I in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:27:14 am »
Hi Judy, I guess it depends on what you mean by taking credit. Most pattern designers would want you to only take credit for the changes. Some books only allow personal use of the patterns. If you are going to sell the finished projects you would need to check with each individual author. It's usually spelled out in the book.

I don't think you could sell the pattern even with your changes. Although the changes in your example are nice I don't think there would be nearly enough change to make the pattern your own. You would almost certainly be looking for trouble selling your pattern.

My personal restrictions on my patterns are simple. You are free to make and sell as many projects from my patterns as you like.  I want my patterns to remain free. I ask that the patterns not be sold. You are free to share my patterns with as many people as you like as long as the title page stays with the pattern. If you make changes to one of my patterns then I prefer it not be passed along as my pattern. Pass it on as a pattern you edited from one of my patterns.

cherie

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:21:23 am »
Steve, I was thinking about the pattern that is titled scroll saw artist I think.   I wanted to change it up so it show's a woman at the saw.  Or if you like you can, just a suggestion.  LOL.  I am not a pattern designer, still learning that.

Wandascroller

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:59:29 am »
Hi Cherie
Steve has done a pattern of  Scrollsaw Artist with a woman.
Check out his blog.
I have posted a picture on here of my cutting of the pattern.
The top piece is on page 10 in the Picture gallery now also
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:20:06 am by Wandascroller »

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:57:22 am »
Thank you.  I was not intending to sell the pattern.  It is just that when someone asks I say that it is a "revamp" of a commercial pattern.  So now I need to get a hold f the author to see if I can sell my finished pieces??
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 01:54:02 pm »
Judy,
You only need to contact the designer if it states "For personal use only".
Otherwise you are okay to sell your creations from the patterns.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SMF

Teknoromi