Author Topic: 3-D /compound cutting font  (Read 1037 times)

Offline ronmuljr

• View Profile
3-D /compound cutting font
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:38:28 pm »
I am very interested in the 3-D pillar type of projects.  I watched dozens of you tube video on using inkscape and was finally able to create something close to a pattern.  Problem was the font I used was way too thin (I think).  The letters were hard to read and the project was unstable and cracked into pieces while handling.  What should I be looking for in a font for these types of projects?  Any suggestions of actual font?  My orignal inspiration was the "Jesus Lives" in Steve's pattern catolog.  Thanks in advance for any tips.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: 3-D /compound cutting font
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 06:14:38 am »
 The font that Steve uses is Cooper Black.  The 'O' is already slanted.    It is about 144 points

I remember at the time doing this pattern but can't find the picture of the actual finished piece.  I may have never cut.

In Inkscape I put in guide lines the match up the base to the letters. 

There are other examples in Steve's Catalogue called Love Wood and Love Wine.

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 10:13:34 am »
Don, thanks for the tip to use guide lines for alignment in Inkscape.  I always make a point read your replies to questions in the blog as you usually provide clever suggestions.

Offline ronmuljr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:16:12 pm »
Thanks for the font info.  Still fighting with inkscape, but at least I have a starting point.  Wanted to post a pic but still working.  I hate when life and work get in the way.  Oh, yeah it's 97 degrees and humid everyday in Florida right now making my non air conditioned shop a sauna.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 08:27:32 am »
Thanks for the font info.  Still fighting with inkscape, but at least I have a starting point.  Wanted to post a pic but still working.  I hate when life and work get in the way.  Oh, yeah it's 97 degrees and humid everyday in Florida right now making my non air conditioned shop a sauna.

I have been "using" Inkscape for a number of years.  Not vey well but enough to get by on.  There are some good lessons on Scroll Saw Village in the University section plus some on Scroll  Saw Workshop.
Recently I took the course by Logos by Nick and it was really worth it.
The new version (1.0) has some really neat options.  Nick explains a lot of those quite well and he answers any questions quite quickly.  Worth the $17.

You can always google YouTube for problems and usually there is tutorial.

SMF

Teknoromi