Author Topic: I am looking to buy new scroll saw  (Read 2569 times)

Offline MarkAnthony

• View Profile
I am looking to buy new scroll saw
« on: November 13, 2018, 07:08:22 am »
Hello, as the title says I am looking to buy a new scroll saw. At the minute I am using a fairly cheap scroll saw which cost around £100, undoing and tightening the blade is a bit of a pain. So I have decided to look for an upgrade, which I am hoping will make it easier to do fretwork.
I like the look of the Excalibur Scroll Saw, but not sure if they still make them under that name. So on searching I found this saw, hope the link works.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-ex-21-scroll-saw-101772

Can I ask a question which is, is it worth the money and will it help me to do better work having an expensive saw.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:45:53 am by MarkAnthony »

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: I am looking to buy again
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:19:47 am »
A tool supplier here in Mid Canada sell a saw that looks much like the one you are looking at under the name Excesellor ,t he specs are the same and the price is similar. I think it is a good saw.

Offline MarkAnthony

• View Profile
Re: I am looking to buy again
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:41:33 am »
Thanks for your quick reply.
It's good to know that the machine I am looking at is good quality.
it is said that you get what you pay for, so I am hoping if I buy this scroll saw it will help to improve my work.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
Re: I am looking to buy new scroll saw
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 11:36:24 am »
The link appears to show a rebranded Excalibur scroll saw.

Excalibur is one of the best, and one of the most expensive, scroll saws on the market.

Besides the very high quality of the unit, it has one unique feature - rather than tilting the table for angle cuts, the table remains level and the blade tilts.

Just noticed that the unit sold at Axminister has the Pegas clamps.  I am surprised - there is nothing wrong with the units provided with the unit when new.  It seems unusual that a brand new saw would have Pegas clamps fitted.  Is there any chance this is a refurbished saw?

I have worked on the Dewalt scroll saw, and I started with a Mastercraft saw.  The Excalibur is head and shoulders above both in every way.

I purchased a used Excalibur EX-21 earlier this year.  Saved about 50% off the print of a new one.  If cost is a factor, this may be an option for you.  I am in Canada - no idea if the market in your corner of the world would be the same.  Parts are available from the US for Excalibur scroll saw, so it is not a risky purchase.

The Excalibur line is gone.  Originally designed and built in Canada, the second version was built in the far east.  The line has been purchased by King Canada, and is now marketed as Excelsior in Canada and King in the USA.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:39:19 am by rfielder »
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline MarkAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 05:56:19 pm »
Hi,
After I had a good look at all three of these scroll saws, Excelsior - King and the Axminster model I think they are all built in the same factory, as they look identical.

I read on the Axminster web site that all they trade model scroll saws are fitted with the Pegas kits. So I don't think they are refurbished.

I want to try and improve the quality my work, that's the only reason I have been looking at this saw. Has anyone else upgraded from a cheaper model to a more expensive model and found it easier to produce better quality projects.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 09:26:28 pm »
It is the same as the Excalibur EX-21.

I bought mine 8 years ago and use it most days.  Some days longer than other and the only thing I have replaced is the upper blade clamp as I stripped the thread. (brain cramp one day).

Our club has 7 DW788 and I have used to both and I really prefer the EX-21.  You can not go wrong with that machine.

Offline MarkAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 03:47:00 am »
Thanks for all the replies.
I think I am going to bite the bullet, and spend the money on the EX-21 as everyone is saying how good it is.  :)

Offline JimInNM

• We're from NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 12:11:00 pm »
Too bad you live in England, I have an Excalibur 21 and it's like new. I would sell it for $650
JimInNM

Offline MarkAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 04:10:40 pm »
Too bad you live in England, I have an Excalibur 21 and it's like new. I would sell it for $650

Thanks Jim, I have now got my scroll saw. The wife got it for my Christmas :) so I didn't have spend too much  ;D

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:27:46 am »
let us know how like the new saw

SMF

Teknoromi