Author Topic: MDF Finish  (Read 1471 times)

Gal4.7

MDF Finish
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:13:59 am »
I have just created my first project and am now hooked on scrollsaw work. As a novice my first project was made from MDF and I now want to stain it a dark colour. How can I do this. I am in UK so please use suggestions I can get here.

Thanks

Love the site Steve

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: MDF Finish
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 06:21:40 am »
I don't believe MDF will stain but it paints up real well.

I seal the edges with shellac.  (Ornaments I just dunk) The edges are very porous. Depending on the piece I will sand slightly.

I then use craft paint or I spay with the paint in those shaker cans.

Don

Please post pictures as it will help with recommendations.

Gal4.7

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:03:42 am »
Thanks. The piece I have in mind is the floral clock on Steve's website

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/floral-clock-pattern-and-video.html

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:51:06 am »
I have just created my first project and am now hooked on scrollsaw work. As a novice my first project was made from MDF and I now want to stain it a dark colour. How can I do this. I am in UK so please use suggestions I can get here.

Thanks

Love the site Steve

Steve,
Two things, first congratulations on your addiction.  And MOST important - MDF dust is really harmful so please wear a good dust mask.  As for staining as Don has mentioned MDF does not really do well with staining but it does paint well, IF you seal the edges otherwise it will act like a sponge and soak up the paint.  My suggestion is to seal with shellac the whole project, then with thinned out paint apply thin coats of paint to achieve the color you are looking for.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of your project when it is complete.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 12:48:15 pm »
I agree with DW and Don.  Paint it don't even try to stain.   Do seal the edges at the very least, with either shellac or a primer paint.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SMF

Teknoromi