Author Topic: 3d keychain  (Read 4675 times)

Crash Landing

3d keychain
« on: June 12, 2010, 03:09:25 pm »
Hello Steve,

I would love to see a video on how to do the 3d keychain. It is a very neat idea.

crash

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: 3d keychain
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 05:39:34 pm »
Oh yeah a great idea, pity I never thought of it, we kiwi's are pretty damn smart down under.LOLOLO

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

KENINLEX

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:43:30 pm »
These are a couple of 3d things I'm made from 2x2.
Ken

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:15:46 am »
I never cut wood that thick on a scroll saw. Was it very hard to do?
 ???  ???  ???
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

KENINLEX

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:17:46 pm »
1.5 x 1.5 is more like what I cut. below is where I got the pattern info.
I wasn't very hard but looks really good. this is a piece of old banister I used the font on.

http://woodworksandcrafts.com/issues/jan07.shtml

[attachment deleted by admin]

James R

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:37:59 pm »
I'd love to see some how to's on this please.

James

KENINLEX

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »
James you need to get a back issue of the Jan 2007 Wood works and crafts. It has everything you need on the how to's.
Ken

http://woodworksandcrafts.com/issues/jan07.shtml

northie66

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 07:43:39 am »
Ken - What type of wood did you use for that?  I have alot of regular 2x4 lumber sitting around.  I was going to try it on that.  Is there any reason not to use regular lumber with a scrollsaw?

KENINLEX

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:41:15 pm »
Janet
I don't remember for sure what but I think I did cut down a 2x4 of some kind.
I also cut several out of old pieces of banister rail as shown below.
KEN

scroller123

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 12:41:21 pm »
Could someone help me. I still do not understand how to use Steve's keychain maker to create 3d.  Any chance of getting some help with this?  Thanks

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 12:05:10 am »
This link to a video made by Steve Good should help
demonstrate the 3D Key Chain pattern cutting project.
The same principle for 3D desk name plates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esU3ObtW0nU
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 12:39:57 am »
That does not show how to use the software to make the pattern though...I think they are wanting the link on how to use the software.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 08:26:32 am »
Steve's free "Keychain Pattern Maker" was not designed to make 3D patterns. The 3D Key Chain Racer Pattern in his catalog/video was created in Coreldraw. Using the Keychain Pattern Maker you would have to create the first pattern, hit enter and create the second one on the same piece of paper. Then cut them out and glue to the top and side of the blank you are using, following along the directions/video for the 3D Key Chain Racer pattern.

The names you are using will have to be the same size in order for it to work easily, (same size pattern glued to top and side of blank). Like use their first or last name only. For instance if the first name was Gene (four letters) and the last was Higginbotham (twelve letters) this would not work easily for a pattern. You would have to insert spaces before and after the name (GENE) to make it come out right (size/length) and I am not sure it would still line up right. You would have to experiment.

Hope this helps.
Russ  8)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:33:54 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 09:52:30 pm »
Hi, Russ,
The Compound Cut nameplates pattern by John Polhemus uses the same principle you spoke of when you said, "Using the Keychain Pattern Maker you would have to create the first pattern, hit enter and create the second one on the same piece of paper. Then cut them out and glue to the top and side of the blank you are using, following along the directions/video for the 3D Key Chain Racer pattern." The names he used were Lucy Parks (4 letters and 5 letters) and Jemmott Harris (7 letters and 6 letters respectively) and there is also the difference in the width of the letters if you compare the letter 'M' and the letter 'I'. They do not have to be the same length. They are just centered on the length of wood stock without regard to how they align with the first name and the last name.
The font used for Mr. Polhemus' pattern is UMBRA but, I do not know what size font. He can call this a pattern because the letters are centered in 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" squares to be taped to your stock.
Steve's keychain pattern maker suggests using font size 105 to 120 BUT, that is a different font so
you would have to adjust for the font you are using when you type out your names if you are just using Word Pad or something similar.
Sorry this was so long winded but, I wanted to be accurate and detailed.
God Bless! Spirithorse

SMF

Teknoromi