Author Topic: First Time!  (Read 2104 times)

Offline barb e

• View Profile
First Time!
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:16:12 am »
I am considering going into a craft show in October for the very first time! (Yikes)  Just wondering how much stock I should have.  Should I have a few of many different things or lots of a few different things?????

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: First Time!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 10:12:29 am »
I do crafts shows.  My suggestion would be to have many different things. You never know what will appeal to people.
Pay attention to your display. Show things off to their best advantage. Use a backdrop if you have hanging things. Something as simple as a folding screen made from Styrofoam  would work just fine. Drape the table to the floor in a complementary fabric.  It makes a great place to hide your packing boxes or extra inventory.

GOOD LUCK!!
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:51:44 am »
I haven't done any craft shows but I have done the monthly flea market we have here.
I totally agree with what Judy had to say.
I would display one or two of several completely different items and hide the excess under the table. I tried to make it look like a person was buying a truly "one off" item (even though I might have six more just like it)  ;) and see which way "the wind blew" as far as different things that appealed to "this" bunch of folks went.  ::) 
Then I could replace the sold items in just a few minutes for another "one off " looker.   :-* I would just remember what was selling at this show for next time.  ;D
I had everything, from crosses to puzzles to fret work and even a rubber band gun! Ya just never know!  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:15:44 pm »
Barb I do several shows a year and have been successful in each.  I have a variety of my craft displayed and I try not to over crowd my display table(s).  One of the keys to having a successful outing is to talk to your customers get them involved.  You might even find after several shows that you have repeat customers and that is a good thing.  Good luck with your show.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 12:41:07 am »
I agree with all the other comments, and would add that you never want the customer to feel pressured to buy.  I spend a lot of time during my shows "re-organizing"  my display.  Actually it's just busy work so I look too busy to bother them and they feel comfortable coming into the booth.  If you're waiting to pounce on them, you'll find a lot of people just walk right by.  I greet them and then leave them alone...works for me.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 01:47:14 am »
I don't do craft shows but my best friend did the circuit here.  One thing he did was to have a basket of what he called "Twoonie" toys.  In Canada that is $2.  Little cars made of pine.  His stock at each show was about 100 as I cut some out for him.

People that have kids would come to the craft show and would look for something for kids and this was perfect.  It would often be the conversation starter to get people to the booth and look at other items. Also, sometimes it paid the table cost.

It really depends on the market.

If you are doing a lot of Christmas ornaments look for boxes for the expensive ones.

Don

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 10:34:25 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  It has been helpfull. The application went in the mail the other day and I guess the cutting starts when I get home from holidays!

SMF

Teknoromi