Author Topic: Flying Dutchman blades  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Flying Dutchman blades
« on: June 28, 2015, 06:07:37 pm »
Hi, I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on Flying Dutchman blades.  I've been using Olson Mach blades, 3,5 & 7, but they don't make anything smaller, so thought I'd give the FD blades a try.  I've narrowed it down to the Scroll Reverse or the Ultra Reverse, and would greatly appreciate any thoughts you might have on the difference in performance in these 2 blades.  I know from this blog that lots of you use FD blades, but not sure what kinds.

I'd be using them on wood just over a quarter inch, like walnut, teak, cherry and sapele.  All my other woods are hard enough that the Mach blades work just great, but even slowing the saw down, I'm having trouble controlling my cuts with blades that large.

Also, does anyone know if FD still makes their round blade?  I don't mean spiral...these blades are labeled round, and that's what they are.  I've had them for years, and got them from Mike's workshop.  They might not even make them anymore.

Thanks for any help you can give on these subjects.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

UHMNL

Re: Flying Dutchman blades
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:33:32 pm »
Hi Nancy,
Before I sold the business to the Wooden Teddy Bear, the FD-UR blades were my best selling blades. Before that it was the FD-SR.
The WTB also bought my website: http:/mikesworkshop.com/. Their phone numbers are on the website.
The UR blades have a tinny marking on one end, telling that it is the top of the blade. Sure makes it easy how to install the blade.
Many told me that they lasted a little longer and easier to control. Have good tension, good speed and let the blade do the cutting. Never push to hard into the blade.
It depends how intricate the pattern is but a # 3 or # 5 would easily cut it. If it is very intricate, you even could use a # 1.
The round blades were found by Arnold Volker in a German warehouse. After trying them, I just loved them and bought them all.
The company I bought from, tried to make them but never got it done. They really tried to find the equipment but never found it.
They are on the West coast, Portland, OR
Mike

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:03:11 pm »
Thanks Mike,  I should have guessed it would be you to answer, since you were the one who sold so many of them.  I've dealt with Wooden Teddy Bear for quite some time for patterns and blades and they are close to me, so shipping will be quick.  I'll want a #1, since I'm really happy with the Olson Mach blades for anything needing a 3,5,or 7.  They cut SO smoothly, which is good 'cause I hate having to sand fuzzies off the back! 

It's just that for my softer woods, as I mentioned, they are too aggressive for thinner wood.  I used to cut 2 or 3 layers at a time, using a 5 or 7, but it's easier for my hands to just cut one.  I can cut the center hole and the ends of my wine glass caddies first, instead of last, since that's where the small nails used to be.  That way I have holes to more easily grab the wood and make the turns in the tiny fretwork.

Woods like ipe, jatoba, bubinga, birdseye maple, merbau, oak, hickory and zebrawood are all fine with the Mach, but not others. 

Thanks for your help.
Nancy

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:32:33 pm »
I use the Ultra reverse most of the time.  I find that they cut very smooth.  It is like they sand on the reverse direction.

The only time I use something different is when the wood is extremely hard.  Last night when cutting purple heart I switch to a Polar blade from Mike and it did the trick quite nicely.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 06:57:16 am »
Well I have used about all brands of scroll saw blades over the years.  When I gave Mike's F.D. a try I HAVE NEVER
USED ANOTHER BRAND.  Personally I am hooked on the FDUR #1....  Most of my Scrolling is done using BB sizes
and pine and popular.  Up to 3/4" the #1 blade cuts almost PERFECTLY WITH FOLLOWING THE LINE.  Super CLEAN
on the back.  Hardly NO SANDING NEEDED.  Just CANNOT be comfortable cutting with any other size blade.  My 2 cents.
          Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 12:13:44 pm »
Many thanks to those that gave advice on which of the FD blades they used and love.  I have an assortment of the Ultra Reverse on order from Wooden Teddy Bear.  I see they have changed the shipping charge for blades and it's much better.

Even if I like the UR 3,5 & 7's, I still have TONS of Olson Mach blades those sizes that I'll have to use up.  When I order blades it's a dozen gross at a time, and I have plenty on hand, just nothing smaller than the 3, so excited to get those.  When all are gone, I can decide which one I like best.
Nancy

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:51:41 am »
used olsen for a long time but tried FD. Really like them. Went to woodcraft and picked up pegasus. Both FD and pegasus seem to hold up well.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 11:05:28 pm »
I've never cut purple heart so I can't say how hard it is.
I have cut full 3/4" oak with a #1sr or a #1ur I've seldom gone larger that a #3
FD blade, I've never gotten the hang of the spiral blades but can cut a finer pattern
than with any other blade. The Olson blades I found didn't last as long either.
gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 12:43:16 am »
My Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades came today and I've spent the entire afternoon and evening comparing them to the Olson Mach blades that I've used for years.  Kind of fun!  Tried lots of different woods, thicknesses and patterns.  The FD were quieter...sometimes my Mach blades are kind of loud.  The cutting motion was nice and smooth, and I love the notch at the top, especially on the smaller sizes.  Add in the fact that they're a bit cheaper, and I thought I'd found a new favorite blade.....until I looked at the back of the wood.  The FD were not nearly as smooth, and on a sample of 1/4" padauk that had several close parallel cuts, there was quite a lot of tear-out. Was using the FD Ultra Reverse #1.  Since my wine glass caddies and ornaments, don't have a definite front and back, I can't have any tear-out.

So, I'll use up what I bought, but will have to do more sanding of the back with the flap sander, and will be careful what patterns I use, but I'm going to stick with my Olson Mach blades for anything needing a 3, 5 or 7.  For smaller, I still have some old Olson #2Reverse that I've had for years.

Thanks for all your input, and if you've never tried them, why not give the Olson Mach blades a try. Just be aware that they aren't called Mach for nothing.....they cut really fast.  Also, I'm beginning to think I'm the only one using them.....anybody else out there?
Nancy

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 06:28:16 pm »
I do prefer the olson blades also use them on my band saw. I have not tried the mach version but will give them a try.
I do not use a lot of blades as I do not scroll to sell  just to relax.

SMF

Teknoromi