Author Topic: Need some expert opions..  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Larry H

• View Profile
Need some expert opions..
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:42:56 am »
I am still new to this scroll sawing. I am working on one of Steve Good pattern.
I made a small one with Oak to 3/4" pine and poplar bands1/2" and oak bottom 1/4" all this wood was scrap.
After placing a stain on I loved the look of the pine. I liked the splotchy look of the pine.
Now the problem....  I dropped it and it went in 20 directions. note to self don't drop your work.

I cut one band out of 3/4" oak Cabinet grade plywood I like the look of the ply
Will this work or is there something I don't know yet?

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Need some expert opions..
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:16:31 am »
Hi Larry. It sounds like you are making a bowl. As for the plywood, yes it will work. In fact, it will probably look pretty good. Whenever in doubt, just do it. You learn a lot that way whether it works or not.

Happy scrolling.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Larry H

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:46:14 am »
Thanks It is one of his baskets I increased the size
Thanks

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:02:07 am »
Larry,

Here is a bowl (I call it "Super Bowl") that I cut out of construction grade plywood some time ago. It is 3/4" thick and some older ply that didn't have any voids in it. It is about 11" in diameter at the top and 6" tall.
NEVER be afraid of trying something new and different, even if it doesn't work at least you can say you tried and you learned something.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Larry H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:22:32 am »
Very nice work roger thanks for sharing. Now I see Plywood can be used. I love to try new things Just didn't know it would work. I see is can work. I will post a pick when I finish it.

LHayes

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:48:19 pm »
From one Larry H to another.  You keep using any type wood you can find...pretty soon you will notice which woods you like best.  Over the years I have used many types....as long as your scrolling and having fun it's all good

SMF

Teknoromi