Author Topic: What do you seal pine with?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Artemisblossom

• View Profile
What do you seal pine with?
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:57:31 am »
Hi I have another newbie question. Last week I made a puzzle out of pine (the instructions said to cut it out of 3/4 " pine using a #5 blade and seal it before painting). It cut out well and fit together properly. Then I went to home depot, and Lowes, and a couple of wood stores in my area and asked about a sealer I could paint over. No one had any idea what to use. Finally one person said I should use primer on it as that was a sealer and then I could paint over it. I put the primer on it and the pieces  seemed to swell or something because it no longer fits together. I tried lightly sanding but that didn't work. Sooooo my question is what exactly do I seal wood with that I am going to paint over?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: What do you seal pine with?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 02:20:52 pm »
Look for a sanding sealer, its a sealer you apply in coats, sanding between coats. It seals the wood fibers making it smoother, I tried it and it does work like it should it also gives the paint a nice smooth slick finish. If you have any scraps use those to test your finish to find the right one so you don't ruin a good projet.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:32:11 pm »
I use Zinzer Seal Coat,  I cut 50% with denatured alcohol.  ( I get at Rockler in USA as the Seal Coat in Canada is not dewaxed).  You could use shelac too.

After that I sand quickly to remove any grain that has risen.  Good to go usually.

Offline Artemisblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:14:06 pm »
Thank You I will look for those products.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:43:01 am »
I use Zinzer Seal Coat,  I cut 50% with denatured alcohol.  ( I get at Rockler in USA as the Seal Coat in Canada is not dewaxed).
Don:

Two questions:

1> any swelling of the wood, that would effect a puzzle?

2> how do you get it into Canada?  Do they ship to Canada, or do you pick it up when in the US?

Thanks!
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 12:05:02 pm »
I don't think the wood swells much at all. Does raise the grain on some woods but I just sand slightly with my max mop.

I don't think Rockler will ship to Canada liquids but you might want to look around as one of the guys at the club said they found the dewaxed shellac at one of the paint stores in Oshawa.  I go to Buffalo and/or Rochester once or twice a year.  Rockler in in Buffalo.

I just looked at the Zinsser sealer and it is available at Home depot and Home Hardware. I am not sure it is dewaxed as the US label says dewaxed but I am not sure it would matter when you are going to paint.  You can write to Rustoleum in Canada as they are the distributor here.

Don

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 12:00:37 am »
I use Zinsser Bulls Eye spray shellac purchased at Home Depot and Wal Mart. It seals the wood fibers and the paint will go on evenly.

SMF

Teknoromi