Author Topic: Turning Tools  (Read 1903 times)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Turning Tools
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:21 pm »
Hey Dan, or anyone that does woodturning.  I am looking to buy some turning tools, and I would like some help on what kind to buy.  any help would be welcomed.The lathe I have is a Darra James.  I also would like to know the best polish to use on my delta scroll saw?

gene
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:19:57 pm by geneVG »
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Turning Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:29:12 pm »
Hey Gene, Believe it or not, I was just thinking about you and your new venture in turning!
There are several company's I would recommend. Penn State Industries: www.pennstateind.com
Craft Supplies USA: www.woodturnerscatalog.com
Packard Woodworks: www.packardwoodworks.com
All tree have ever thing you will ever need for turning.
As for wax for your saw, most people use Johnson's Past Wax. You can find it at Walmart or most hardware stores.
Dan In Southern California

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:43:39 pm »
THanks Dan, I will check them out.  The tools I have are old and not doing what they should do.  They are Craftman tools, but the Sears store here in town dosen't carry any turning stuff at all.  But I did manage to get a piece of wood round and did some differnt shapeing with it.  I think I will like doing this once I get some good tools to work with.  Thanks again Dan.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:57:54 am »
Chances are the tools are fine Gene, They just need to be sharpened. Just like having to replace scroll saw blades when they get dull, you have to keep the turning gouges sharp. There are many ways to sharpen your gouges. Go on youtube, check out some sharpening videos, and see whats out there. I use the Wolverine system.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:40:14 am »
I agree with DG, your tools are probably ok (sometimes the older tools are better than new ones) but they DO need to be kept sharp. When you think about it, if you have a 6" blank of wood turning at say 1500rpm with a gouge cutting it, work out how far that gouge cuts in just 1 minute. It's quite a distance.  But yes, sharp tools are a must.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:09 am »
Hi  Gene what are you proposing to turn on your lathe?, as has been stated there is nothing wrong with your wood turning tools that a turn on the grinding wheel wouldn't help, I have never heard of the lathe you are using but if it goes around then that is OK as you have to start some where, don't go out and buy lots of tools as this is unnecessary, bowl gouge, spindle gouge, parting tool, and skew chisel, and this will get you on the road, size about 1/2"
Good luck
Jimbo

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:12:13 am »
I have turned a fair amount and used to do lots of bowls till I ran out of freinds to give them to.

I started with one of the cheap sets but quickly realized that you are better to buy individual tools of better quality.

I use bowl gouges from Doug Thompson and they really hold the edge and I would highly recommend.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/.   They come without handles so I use a Oneway handle.

I concur with the others about sharpening being the key.  I would recommend Wolferine Sharpening system from Oneway.  http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=37&Itemid=2

Welcome to the slippery slope.

Don

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:41 pm »
I just want to thank you all for your great advice, and websites on turning.  As always I can depend on my friends on this form for thier great advice.  Thanks  And Dan, thanks for leading the way.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »

Gene,
Found this page that you might enjoy checking out. has manuals for 3 different lathe models. and lots of other machines made by Darra James.
Looks like they were medium or entry level quality tools just from the pictures I saw. I got the impression they were from the 1950's era. You might have fun finding replacement parts or accessories for them.
When it comes to any cutting tool buy the BEST YOU CAN AFFORD. This is one place where the axiom "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" holds true. 
www.leevalley.com has a very nice catalog and sells good quality tools, not always the cheapest but they arent gougeing their customers either.
Look up Richard Raffan, he is to turning what Steve is to Scrolling, and his video's are great!
Keep us up to date on your progress. Oh by the way one of those flip up face shields that have the adjustable head band is a very good idea, they will keep the chips out of your eyes and will deflect flying objects and help keep them from putting out an eye. Only about $15 or 20 or so and worth every penny.
Good luck,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 09:23:10 pm »
Gene this will take you to his YouTube links.
Richard Raffan that is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC0ki48CMo
Enjoy,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:00:58 am »
Thanks Gabby, I will check them out.  I really want to thank you and evryone else for the help.  I will let you know how I'm doing as I go.  Thanks agaain.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

SMF

Teknoromi