Author Topic: Type of woods  (Read 1386 times)

wntrrwd

Type of woods
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:52 am »
OK I am learning so figured I would just start asking questions.
What is the best type of woods to use? I have just  been messing around with scrap lumber I have around my garage. What types of woods do I need to look at and what are the best places to buy it? Thanks for any help.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Type of woods
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:45 am »
That's a tough question to answer because the type of project you are cutting determines what type of wood you need.  Every wood has its own distinct properties.  Plywood (especially baltic birch) is good for portraits and many other projects, pine is good for thicker projects especially if they will be painted, hardwoods are great for many things but you may need to be able to either buy them in thinner thicknesses or plane them to the desired thickness.  Some woods are very tough, and some are relatively easy to break.  A few of the hardwoods like cherry and maple are great, but have a tendency to burn when the cutting is too intricate.  Tell us what you want to build and what wood you have available and we can help a lot more.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »
Bill is right:  Are you planning on doing Fretwork?  Intarsia?  Segmentation? Compound cutting? Inlay? Bowl making? Toy making?  Each of these are best done with different woods  but all are done on a scroll saw.  Let us know what you intend to try first.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

wntrrwd

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:11 pm »
What is the easiest to learn

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:51:24 pm »
The way I started was with pine.  It is cheap to buy and you can make some really nice things from it.  It is also a good wood to learn to use your saw.  Get on Steve's pattern page and pick out a patteren and go for it.  Don't lose hope if you miss up the first few times.  It will all come together in time.  Happy sawing.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:41:11 pm »
As a scroll saw instructor At Woodcraft, I start my beginner students on 3/4" pine. Like Gene said it is cheap and easy to cut.
Dan In Southern California

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 07:28:07 am »
If your looking for something a little nicer looking than pine, poplar is a nice choice.  It is readily available at the big box stores and is very easy to work with.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:19 am »
I agree on the poplar, and don't believe the people who say it can't be stained.  Either use a gel stain or a conditioner to limit blotching.  I've made some gorgeous furniture out of poplar.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi