Author Topic: Getting Rid of Fuzzies  (Read 2962 times)

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
Getting Rid of Fuzzies
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:59:33 am »
What is the best way to get rid of fuzzies ? i have been using spiral blades and they leave a lot of fuzzies on the back ,can anyone tell me the best way get rid of them as i dont want to use any power sanders as there are some delicate pieces.....Pete
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Waddawood

Re: Getting Rid of Fuzzies
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:31:26 am »
I use pieces of sandpaper and needle files.  Every now and then you can use a dremel type tool with the little sanding cylinders.  Just place a finger on the delicate areas you're sanding near.

Marshall

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:28:30 am »
I use the sandpaper installed in the scrollsaw - cut a piece 5" long by 1/2" wide and fold it in half and it should work in your saw . Remember to kept the tension and speed at the lowest setting ..works great for me .......MB

Unknotted

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:50:22 am »
I use the sandpaper installed in the scrollsaw - cut a piece 5" long by 1/2" wide and fold it in half and it should work in your saw . Remember to kept the tension and speed at the lowest setting ..works great for me .......MB

What a cool idea!  I love this place.  I'm always learning new things from you guys.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:12:01 am »
I recently started torching the back side to get rid of fuzzies. I started with a cigarette lighter and practiced on bottom piece of a stack that I didn't really care about. The method works pretty well. If you get a chance try it.

daliclimbs

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:32:55 am »
I use a pencil torch. Lightly go over all fuzzies then lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper. Works like a charm.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:41:34 am »
I use a sanding mop.  Just support the piece with your hand on the back.
I'm from North Dakota

grampa

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »
Im with the burners, Ive got a world war 2 flame thrower put the piece in the garden and let rip....LOL.  I have a tiny butane soldering gun and it works great.......Paul

zgrimsley

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »
Would wrapping it in tape help with this? That is what I have done then little sanding just to touch up.

daliclimbs

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 02:12:29 pm »
Would wrapping it in tape help with this? That is what I have done then little sanding just to touch up.

Tape helps a bit. The best help is a good blade. I use FD reverse blades. The reverse teeth on the bottom of the blade cuts down a lot on the fuzzies. The tape helps lubricate the blades and extended the blade life more than anything..

Dawie

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:16:55 pm »
 ;D Learnt something new here again today. Using the scroll saw to sand. I must try that.
David

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »
I had heard about using scroll saw to sand, but till I got my EX16 I couldn't grip the sandpaper in the clamps. now I'm ready to give it a try.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 04:29:29 pm »
Once again many thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions i will try all and see what works best for me   ;)
Paul , just love your method , no messing   :D
                      ..........Pete
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 05:41:15 pm »
Stack Cut!
The bottom one becomes a 'throw away' unless it comes out well but I sand it with 220 grit on my Random Orbital Sander as I go along....keeps 'fuzzies' to a minimum.

SHARP blades lessen the 'fuzzies'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 07:55:12 pm »
One thing I've tried recently and works really well is a sanding buff, mounted in my Dremel.  I admit it isn't the most economic means, they seem to wear fairly quickly, but they work really well, easier & faster than cleaning pieces by hand with files, emery boards, sandpaper, etc.  Using a low speed on the Dremel and a light touch, even fairly delicate fretwork can be cleaned up with these.  If they were a little cheaper or lasted longer, they would be the greatest thing since sliced bread.   :D
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

SMF

Teknoromi