Author Topic: Coins  (Read 3683 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Coins
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:14:28 pm »
Has anyone cut coins? if so what blade size and type did you use
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Coins
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:17:36 pm »
Check with FD Mike!
I seem to remember he has a very fine jeweler blade for that but not certain!?!?!?

My stepson does it all the time but he is a custom jeweler!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:54:01 am »
Asked Mike and he is not sure as he has not cut coins, he suggested im#3 or ur #3, thanks any way GB
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:58:07 am »
a #3 seems a bit big to me - the coin might flip off the saw!

Coins by Steve Good:
http://www.stevedgood.com/penny.pdf
http://www.stevedgood.com/roundtuit.pdf

and a video: Coin Cutting Jig/url]

jim stiek

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:46:39 am »
I have cut lots of coins and find that the F.D. 2/0 is probable the best cutting of all I have tried even better than even the jewelers blade, blades of even smaller sizes can be had but they are made for hand saws, they can be used in scrollsaws but are very fragile and I only use them when size dictates. As scrollers we have to be aware that any blade we use to cut metal will not last as long as when cutting wood, the life of a blade when cutting coins can be extended by paying close attention to speed and feed rate.
jim

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:06:04 pm »
Jim do you ever use lubricant while cutting coins?
I've done a little machining and we used a lubricant in one form or another, helps dissipate heat and lengthens the life of the cutting tool besides flushing away the chips. I'm sure no one wants to hook up a flushing system to their scroll saw, what a mess that would make!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 10:31:10 pm »
Thanks for the info Jim, as yet I am not ready to cut coins just gathering the info on them as I have a heap of obsolete coins, NZ decided to change the size of its currency several years ago and I kept a lot and made them into frig. magnets but the novelty  has worn off and can no longer sell them
Jimbo

jim stiek

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:58:02 am »
Gabby I have not found it necessary to use a lube on the americian coins I cut, but have talked to people from other countries that use different alloys and they tell me some of thier coins can be a challenge. Jimbo I have never cut N.Z. coins check to see what they are made of or just try one you will soon know if it is to hard for the blade. One tip if you are cutting bright coins spray a light coat of clear matt finish first helps cut down on the glare. hope this helps.
jim

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 03:01:47 pm »
Gabby I have not found it necessary to use a lube on the americian coins I cut, but have talked to people from other countries that use different alloys and they tell me some of thier coins can be a challenge. Jimbo I have never cut N.Z. coins check to see what they are made of or just try one you will soon know if it is to hard for the blade. One tip if you are cutting bright coins spray a light coat of clear matt finish first helps cut down on the glare. hope this helps.
jim

Thanks Jim, I'm guessing that the difficulty of drilling could be an indicator of the hardness of the metal used in the coin and possible difficulty in cutting it. When I was first looking for a saw, I bought several interesting foreign coins from the local pawn shop with cutting them in mind. They enclude a British large penny, and a Australian penny with a kangaroo on the back, both appear to be mostly copper.

Gabby
W
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 03:24:13 pm »
Our older coins have a lot of silver in them so they should be easier to cut, thanks for the suggestions
Jimbo

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »
Our older coins have a lot of silver in them so they should be easier to cut, thanks for the suggestions
Jimbo

If they have a lot of silver in them they may be more valuable than you think, wouldn't hurt to check that out!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 02:48:43 am »
Silver isn't worth much these days Gabby
Jimbo

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:42:23 am »
Silver isn't worth much these days Gabby
Jimbo

Are you sure?
Check this. http://www.24hgold.com/english/gold_silver_prices_charts.aspx?money=Euro&p=argent
or this http://www.silverseek.com/quotes/
Crowding 40 bucks an oz.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 08:03:04 am »
I've heard of an 8/0 jewelers blade but don't know where you can buy one.

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

SMF

Teknoromi