Author Topic: Problem with DW788  (Read 4043 times)

randy2479

Problem with DW788
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:23 pm »
I just set up my new DeWalt DW 788 and while it's running it looks fine from the front, but when I move over to the side and watch the blade it is jumping forward and back as much as 1/8 inch while it's going up and down. I suspect something is wrong. Sawing detailed cuts is difficult when the blade is jumping. It jumps like this even at high tension. I'm sure it is me and nothing wrong with the machine. Any ideas??

tenfingers

Re: Problem with DW788
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:24:37 am »
Randy,

I would bet it's the saw and not you.

This front to back blade motion has been discussed on many scrollsaw sites I visit. There is a "fix" on Rick Hutchenson's site, but it didn't work for my saw. My saw sat for years befor I unboxed it, so my warrenty was gone when I found out about the problem.

Take it back now before you run out of warrenty. Nobody I've heard of has had any luck with the Dewalt service centers either, other than replacement.

Good luck.

edited to fix name

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:28:22 pm by tenfingers »

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:41:27 am »
I agree it is a defect in the saw.  I believe the problem is a new batch of blade holders are defective.  My saw is 11 years old and always cut fine until i stripped out the upper blade thumbscrew.  I ordered new blade holders and immediately had the same problem.  Dewalt said it was within there tolerance levels.  Lot of people having this issue right now.  Exchange the saw and if it is a local store I'd request to test it out there before you even take it home.

Btw  It is "Rick" Hutchinson.  Not Mike.  ;)

http://www.scrollsaws.com/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:43:47 am by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

tenfingers

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:49:22 pm »
Dunk,

Did you replace both blade holders? I've had problems with mine since I got it out of the box. (years afer I bought it)

The top blade holder broke within minutes of getting it put together. So I ordered one from the service center. After picking up and installing the new part I noticed the problem. It might have done it before, I didn't know to look.

If replacing both blade holders will fix it I will. I just don't want to buy parts that won't help.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:11:45 pm »
Because I thought to myself.  if I stripped out the upper one I may as well replace the lower at the same time.  So I replaced both and that is when I had the problem.  So no--- buying more parts did not help.  I did not save my old clamps to compare.  Shortly after I made the switch I moved & the old parts hit the garbage.  So I can't compare what is different in the new blade clamps and the old ones.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:13:34 pm »
my blade clamp hasn't broken but it about stripped out. here is a question for Rick Hutchinson if
he sees this. when Dewalt & Excalibur were made in Canada their blade clamps looked to be the same. since Excalibur is a higher price saw, maybe their specs are tighter than Dewalt. now they
are both made in Taiwan. Rick have you ever tried to use a Excalibur blade clamp on a Dewalt.
just a thought,it may be a useless question  thanks

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:11:35 am »
It seems to me some enterprising person needs to design and market an aftermarket, improved replacement blade clamp for the 788. I think they could sell thousands of them!
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi