Author Topic: Price for name ornaments  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Genofromny

• View Profile
    • Adirondack-Scrollsawer
Price for name ornaments
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:19:44 pm »
Good afternoon,
I saw the notice from Steve about doing the patterns for the name ornaments and fell in love with those.  I sat down and start to make my list for steve to make the ornaments and afterI made my list for friends and work and family, then the wife made her list for her friends and church and her family the pist was just a little short of the national debt.  At this point I sat down and decided to figure out how to make the patterns myself.  Wife the help of some friends and photoshop  I made a pattern and now have to just fill in the names. save and print.  I first want to thank Stve for ginving me the motoviation to learn this now pattern makling process.  Second I have had a lot of offers to make some at work and not wanting to waste a good oppurtunity I have no idea how much to ask for them.  I cut them out of 1/4 brown maple and the ornamets are approx 4" in diamater.  Ater cutting them my wife sands them and I then put 4 coats of a pray lacquer on them to get the nice finish.  Does anyone have any idea how much I shoudl charge?
Thanks in Advance.
Geno

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Price for name ornaments
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:16:58 pm »
Fifteen or twenty bucks sound good to me!
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:27:53 pm »
$3.00 - $4.00 a piece.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:48:19 pm »
Down under you would only get $5, if you can get a few names the same you can stack cut
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:12 am »
Being "personalized" and Hand-Made I would not take less than $10.

Go to a large mall and visit a store like "Things Remembered" where they do all kinds of personalized things and it will put you in 'sticker shock'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:11:46 am »
Oh personalized. I missed that I guess or I forgotted (spelling on purpose) as my rememberer is a little faulty these days.. I charge $10.00 for those.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:41 am »
$10.00 is fair - unless it is a rare or particularly beautiful wood.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:23:23 am »
I agree $10.00 is a fair price.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Genofromny

• View Profile
    • Adirondack-Scrollsawer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:30 pm »
Thank you very much everyone.  I believe that I am going to go with $7.50.  I offered them for $5.00 at work and could not cut them fast enough.  We will be doing alot more but I do believe considering our area that $7.50 will work best for us.  I just wanted to make sure that was not to much to ask.  We do this mostly for the fun but a little extra money is good also.
Again I just want to say thank you.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:38 pm »
 I think $10.00 is to much personally, I charge $4.00 for mine as I cut 2 at a time on 1/4" hard wood. I could be wrong but that is only my opinion.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 05:23:35 pm »
Edward,
it is difficult to stack cut them when they are personalized...especially if they are unique names.
Mike

carlton4143

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »
What they will sell for and what they are worth are two different things. Each area is different. I do a show in Mi. each year. What I sell for $80.00 in Mi I am hard pressed to get $20.00 in Fl. I think $5.00 is a fair starting price. If you can't keep up with orders raise the price.
Carlton

Terry Jackson

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 11:00:49 pm »
Sold a lot of ornaments for $10 over the summer.  They were a 4-1/2" outline of the State of Alaska with a Moose or Bear or Eagle silhouette outline (cut the outer line plus eyes but stopped the cuts so the shape remained attached) and the date cut.  Had a gift shop inquire briefly about wholesale.
Terry

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:34 am »
Terry,
Pics speak volumes.  Love to see your ornaments.
Mike

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 02:39:10 am »
Hi Geno, i highly encourage anyone interested learn how to make the name ornaments. i posted a couple blog posts a couple years ago that show how to do them in corel draw and even in microsoft word. they are very popular and make nice gifts. they can be good sellers also. I can make the pattern in under 2 minutes which is a good thing because I have made close to 1700 of them in the last couple weeks. As far as price goes I would personally come up with a cost per letter. there is a big difference in cutting Al and Alfredo. I think I would have a minimun of $5 then charge $1 for every letter more than 5.

SMF

Teknoromi