Author Topic: posting help  (Read 2509 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
posting help
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:16:42 pm »
I am obviously computer challenged.  I can't seem to post any pictures w/ comentary.  I have been a member since the beginning and cannot post a picture.  The forum always comes back with the message "the file is too big".  I know one picture and a short comment should go through.  I see everyone else posting multiple pictures and long commentary and it works for them.  What the Heck am I doing wrong?

Dawie

Re: posting help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:24:43 pm »
Hi there,

I don't know how large the pics are you are trying to post, but the max size per pic is 128kb and you can post 4 per post.
I don't know if you use the additional options button at the bottom of your screen when posting? I do and found this much easier than trying to work from a site, now I can browse my file and post. Normally I have to reduce the size of my pics before posting, so I make a copy and change the size and then post it.
Hope I am making some sence.
David.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:40:44 pm »
I do use the options at the bottom of the page.  My photos are just digital photos from my camera.  I don't know how to resize them.  Any advise would be much appreciated.

cherie

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »
Julie, do you have any kind of photo or paint program on your computer?  If so, you can resize your image smaller, and then save it as a low file.  That is what I do.  You can PM me and I can explain better.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:58:17 am »
Hi Juli,

I don't know of you have Microsoft office? but I asume most people do.

see this link and search for "compression":

http://www.eca.com.ve/classweb/docs/Picture%20Manager%20Workshop.pdf

in "office picture manager" you can always push F1 for more help

hope you "get the picture"  ;)

Marcel
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:00:23 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 06:24:35 am »
Thanks ya'all,  Until 2  years ago - all I had was dial up so I never really learned to use my computer.  I'm trying to get up to speed and things like this that crop up just make my head explode.  I knew there had to be an easy solution.

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »
Take it one step at a time Julief. When your head starts spinning stop a wait then ask what you need to know and mostly someone around here has an answer. Good luck at learning new skills.
David

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 03:43:51 pm »
The biggest problem for many of us is formulating an answer that the neophyte can clearly understand!

We may know exactly what to do but putting it into a clear, logical and easy to understand format sometimes taxes our skills of presentation.
Just keep asking if you don't understand.
We may get a bit frustrated but we DO remember that WE were there at one time long ago!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 06:41:53 pm »
I use PIXresizer. Just do a search and since it is shareware, there are several places that offer to download it.
Pat B

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 07:43:33 am »
I spend my pre-dawn hours on the computer and when the sun comes up, I head for the shop.  I understand the instructions you guys have given me and will give it a go.  Until this, I didn't know you could resize a picture (or even have a need to do so).  Thanks,  I learned something new today.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 09:37:08 am »
 I also have the same problem, this is the only site that I can't post pictures, I have Picasa, and steve was suspose to post on how to do it. I have croped all my photos, and still don't work.  Edward

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 01:57:15 pm »
Well, Edward, let's both give it a try.  I'd love to show off some of my work.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 05:18:37 pm »
Edward: Cropping I don't think works, in fact I'm sure, GB will tell me if I'm wrong.
As Pat has stated PIXresizer is the way to go, it's free easy to D/Load and simple to use.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 05:30:57 pm »
Cropping MAY bring the size into the upload limit but I seriously doubt it would help with a very large format digital file.

I have both Irfanview and PixResizer and use the latter when trying to reduce a file for upload because you can input the size you want the pic to be and the PixResizer will show you immediately the File Size in bytes. Just move the decimal point three places to the left to get the KB size and if it falls under the 128 KB upload size you are in business.

I have installed and tried Picasa THREE times and have uninstalled it because it is too invasive and gets too bloated.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Rightarm

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 01:54:47 am »
    If you have Windows and have uploaded your pics. You can go to, (I believe it's TOOLS), and resize you photos. I have done this, but I resized to small. Still working on resizing. Dave 8)

SMF

Teknoromi