Author Topic: Where Do The Shavings Go?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline budprine

• View Profile
Where Do The Shavings Go?
« on: August 01, 2010, 01:14:45 pm »
I recently acquired a 12 1/2" surface planer to use in a re-sawing process.  I also came into some badly weathered lumber that needed to be cleaned up.  After doing some planing I noticed it was easier to sweep up the shavings rather than try to suck them up with a shop vac.  My wife saw what I had collected and said "why don't you put that on the flower beds"
That got me thinking about how much stuff I throw away from the shop vac.  Why can't it also go to the flower beds instead of to a land fill? 

Certainly I'll have to magnetically remove the occasional screw or nail that might find its way into the shop vac.

Who else collects and recycles their debris.  Are there any negatives to doing this?
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline campasano

• View Profile
Re: Where Do The Shavings Go?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »
I have always dumped my sawdust and shavings into my garden beds except for the exotic woods. Some of these will cause problems and work against your flowers or veggies. I always say "What comes out of the ground should go back into the Ground" but of course as with every thing else there are exceptions. If your not sure of certain matter being recycled into your garden then do some research on the matter.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:55:52 pm »
I agree some wood shavings can be or are toxic to your plants.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:28:14 pm »
Oh come on now.. All my shavings go into my flower beds for years now. "toxic to your plants" by the time mother nature breaks it down it is not toxic. It is just wood people. ::) ::) ::)  Or unless You are dumb enough to use pressure treated lumber.  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:40:08 am by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:35:24 pm »
Just don't build up mulch beds too deep or wide around a foundation.  It is possible for subterranean termites to use the mulch to avoid treated areas of soil and find a way into your house (not likely, but possible).
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Wizard of Oz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:07:03 am »
Do Not put walnut chips in a flower bed, or garden!  The acid in walnut chip will kill just about anything.  But pine, or oak chips are fine.  Just my .02 worth.

Oz

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:38:05 pm »
I think you need to read my post again.,,,I said "Or unless You are dumb enough to use pressure treated lumber." Pressure Treated Lumber not black walnut  shavings. I really don't know how you got it confused. So for the record  I did not call you dumb, dunk. Pressure Treated Lumber should never be used for mulch or not even burned, the smoke is poisonous. Most pressure-treated lumber sold before January 2004 was treated with chromated copper arsenate (CCA for short), which contains arsenic. http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/health/ehhm/cca.html. It just won't kill plants, it kills humans and animals. So I think anyone would be dumb to make mulch/shavings from Pressure Treated Lumber.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:35:01 pm »
Well Russ, I must agree with Dunk.
Not only walnut but, there are alot of woods that are not good for gardens or ground cover.
This subject came up on another wood working fourm and the general  thought was, "Trash it or burn it but, it wont help to retain the moisture to help the garden and it can harm alot of plants."
You are right about "Treated wood, "Don't even burn it!".
There have been cases where walnut and others have been used for bedding for horses and other animals and they have died from it.
My wife buys cider chips to put around the trees and in her flower garden and it does help to keep the weeds down but, I dont see any reason to toss it on a garden or flower plot.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi