Author Topic: What kind of scroll saw do you own?  (Read 6706 times)

Charlie Dearing

Re: What kind of scroll saw do you own?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 12:05:32 am »
Let's see, started out with a Delta....upper blade clamp was a pain in my but and it had electrical problems.  Had a project master and it had low vibration but didn't last long.  Had a Ryobi and the upper arm snapped in half while I was using it.  Had a Dremel....it crapped out on me. Had another Delta and it crapped out on me.  Was taking care of a wealthy old guy when I had a Craftsman one ...it crapped out on me and the old guy felt sorry for me and got me a Hegner 18 inch.  Lord knows I'd still be using bottom of the line saws i it weren't for him.  I'll admit thought I would LOVE to have a DeWalt 788 to play with and one of those 30 inch throat saws (since I like to do huge pieces).  I believe they are made by Excaliber. 

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 12:35:57 am »
i started with a craftsman that lasted a few yrs until the bolt on lower arm sheared off, then i upgraded to a dewalt which im very well satisified with. just wish i didnt have it in a storage unit right now while im trying to sell my home, im having withdrawls big time.  :(

northie66

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 12:37:03 am »
Aww... that sucks MH!  What if it takes a while to sell the home?  You might have to sneak it out!   ;D

Dan

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 01:03:24 am »
1st saw was a Ryobi. Then I bought a 788, which I still use. Do not see a reason to change, unless I start doing things with high degree (angle) cuts.

Dan

BULL65

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 02:08:51 am »
I started with a Delta, that my wife bought me... It lasted all of a month, before one of the pieces that holds the blade (lower clamp) broke. Damned if I could find a replacement part, so I began searching on Amazon, and reading reviews. I was GOING to go with Dremel, cause I use the Dremel rotary tool.... ALOT, and it's a name I trust...
But one of the reviews said that if I was to be using a scrollsaw for hours on end, like I would (and am!), then the DeWalt would be the better choice.
Took me a while to save up for it, and believe me, the day I ordered it, I felt ill.... Sure I could have just bought another Delta, it was cheap enough, but I trusted the reviews...
And boy, am I ever glad I did! WOW! I love my DeWalt! It's (for the most part) whisper quiet, my workroom being off of my bedroom, and my wife says she hardly ever hears it while she sleeps! I'll never go to anything else, I think!

Shirley

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 06:14:15 am »
My first saw was a Dremel.  I used it for many years and then my husband started working at our local Woodcraft store.  I was invited to demo the saw during one of their sales and it was love at first cut!  A week later I had my 788 and our daughter got the Dremel.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 06:17:30 am »
I started with an 18" Dremel.  It was a good starter saw but I wanted more.  I have an Excalibur - wouldn't trade it for anything.  If I were to upgrade - It would be the EX30.  Still Excalibur but 30" of throat.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 08:24:05 am »
Sure is nice to see some of the 'newbies' chiming in again!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 08:30:34 am »
I started sawing by hand....
the first scrollsaw was a ferm fz40 (still have it, don't use it)
I now have a Hegner Multicut 2SE
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

cherie

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 09:05:52 am »
Started out like many here with a Dremel from Lowes for around 100.00 dollars.  One day Jaun and I were gonna drive to RBI machine to purchase a Hawk.  I had the money in hand, that is until we stopped at a local craft shop to see if they would try and sell some.  (none did, but I don't know what they priced them at.)  Anyways the owner of the shop had a Shopsmith for 400.00.  I test drove it before we brought it home.  The bad thing was that I had to order new belts for her since it had been sitting for so long.  That was about 4 years ago.  If I up grade again, it will be a new Hawk from Bushton Manufacturing or the EX21.  Do not know yet.

daneklund

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 09:06:25 am »
I started scrollsawing with a Delta Q3.  I then moved to the Eclipse.  I will not move to another saw.

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 09:27:38 am »
I have a Delta 40 - 560 type 2, it's the only saw i've used in over 10 years but wouldn't change it. I just love the quick release blade clamp, but the machines or spares are no longer available in the UK any more so when it breaks I think the next one will be an Excalibar which get a lot of favourable reports and are now being sold over here.
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 10:00:00 am »
Had a Craftsman for years, moved up to a EX-21. The Excalibur EX-21 is awesome.  8)  8)  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 10:35:09 am »
I also had an OLD Montgomery Wards scroll saw with disc sander, etc on the side.  It fell apart after little use and I started looking for a replacement.  Tried saws from Home Depot (Ryobi) and Lowe's, both of which vibrated way too much.  Found this blog and started reading posts and saw many recommending the DW788 which I bought and love.  I'll never be great, but I do enjoy working with good tools.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 11:11:20 am »
CrabbyBoater....I learned that from my dad who was an aircraft mechanic for TWA!
Rule: If you are going to buy a tool to use, buy the best you can afford, use it well and TAKE CARE of it!
I ihave two kinds of tools...GOOD TOOLS that I have had for years and cheap tools that I needed for a specific job and knew I would rarely use them again.

~~~GR~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi