Author Topic: when teaching someone to scroll...  (Read 2605 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
when teaching someone to scroll...
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:23:08 am »
When teaching someone to scroll - what is your favorite type of project to start them on for a first project?

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: when teaching someone to scroll...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:36:14 am »
Hi, Julie:

When I am getting someone started, I try to teach them using a small piece, such as an ornament.  This is what I call a 'low risk' item because it is small enough where they wouldn't feel like they are 'wasting wood' as so many new people do if they make a mistake and also because it can be completed in a short time frame.  

Nothing fuels an eager student like the sense of accomplishment of finishing their first project!  I also like using something with a variety of cuts - both corners and curves.  I stay away with anything with faces and stuff like that where mistakes can be very obvious.  Geometric and flowing designs can hide little 'boo-boo's' very well and no one is the wiser!  I think it is especially important when starting someone on scrolling to instill confidence and a sense of pride and you will find they are more likely to continue on.

Just my thoughts!  Sheila
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:37:50 am by scrollgirl »
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:37:15 am »
Their name...Basic Block letters.  They sure smile when it is done!
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:34:23 am »
julief, I start new students off cutting 3/4" pine. I teach them how to cut a strait line, then a curved line and so on. We start cutting small geometric shapes like hearts and circle's. Then we progress to a teddy bear with a heart cut out.
Unfortunately, we only have three hours so if time permits, we move on to cutting some hardwood silhouettes.
Dan In Southern California

UHMNL

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 12:18:50 pm »
Hi Sheila,

Did you get my reply?
Next time just send me an email.

FD Mike

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:18:33 am »
I also start with names.  The reason why is because letters have straight lines, angled lines and curved lines.  Plus they can have their own name made out of wood. 
On a slight side note, my daughter is 12 and just recently started to show interest.  I just told her, 1- it's normal when a blade breaks, that's why they're so cheap... 2- There's no law saying you have to stay right on the line but try to. 3- let the blade do the cutting, 4- You don't have to finish the project in a certain amount of time unless it's an order so take your time. ...and finally....it's ok if your cuts are wavy...you just started!  Oh and stop drinking my Dr Pepper! ;)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:30:24 am »
The reason I ask, I have taught others to scroll before and started them on basic lines and turns - just a practice piece.  Enough to learn to turn their wood.  I have someone who wants to start on a more ambitious project and do not feel it is a good "starter" project.  Trying to change his mind is not easy.  I thought if others had opinions along the same lines as me - he might start off a little easier.

northie66

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:26:11 am »
I agree with the name. Something like I do would be good because no gluing involved. 

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:53:15 am »
Julie, in my opinion, let whoever it is tackle what they seek to tackle.  The reason I say that is if you think about it...every scrollsaw pattern out there is a series of lines...whether straight, wiggly, curved, etc.  The ONLY difference (in my opinion) between patterns is the amount of "shapes" to cut out.  If someone can cut out a blob shape, a snow flake or any other shape then all that is left is patience.  Some might argue that an intricate pattern is too hard for a beginner due to fragile areas potentially breaking.  Well, that may be true, but some people learn better by challenging themselves from the start.  If he/she breaks a few delicate areas...so be it.  They still learn.  I say let them at it ;) 
I started using spiral blades from day one, and that's what I use when teaching.  You'll be surprised sometimes just how quickly people catch on if you ratchet up the difficulty in the beginning.  Not for everyone, but it has worked for me.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:21:18 am »
i agree with everyone else for the name.
you could use steve's software for a keychain with their name.
make the first one at 140 and then go down in size
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 08:21:36 am »
My first attempt was cutting an 'acorn' shape out of 3/4" cedar. Not a straight line in the whole thing.
But it got me hooked. Just had to back up, get the basics from a book and have gone on from there.

Until I got the 788 I did only silhouettes and now I'm not adverse to tackling anything just because of the simple blade changes. With the Craftsman it was just too much hassle!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 12:39:50 pm »
I am pretty much self taught. I bought a scroll saw and a magazine and this was my first project. Practiced on a piece of scrap wood and then found this pattern in the magazine and cut it out of 3/4" plywood and backed it up with painted 1/4" ply.
It was about ten years ago and was cut on my old Tradesman saw.

A friend of mine now owns this cutting.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 02:42:36 am »
very nice work! and that for your first piece.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 06:54:44 am »
Nice piece Rog.  Thanks to everyone for their opinions.  I also am self taught and started with harder pieces than I probably should have.  Learned alot along the way.  I just don't want this guy to get discouraged because part of this learning process is rehab.  I want very much for him to succeed and enjoy the craft.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 05:14:16 pm »
i had my 11 yr. old grandson look through Steve's patterns, he picked out the rubber band gun, he's been tormenting his 8 yrs. old sister ever since
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

SMF

Teknoromi