Author Topic: DeWalt 788 Switch  (Read 4274 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
DeWalt 788 Switch
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:34:41 am »
A lot folks have had trouble with the on-off switch of their DW 788 scroll saw. What  happens is saw dust can get into the switch and impact onto the contacts of the switch causing it to fail. Some people like to use compressed air to clean their saws.
The problem is this can force saw dust into the switch and cause it to fail. Naturally I would advise against using Compressed air for this purpose.
I keep a small  brush next to my saw to brush off the dust from around the switch to keep it clean.
If your careful, you can disassemble the switch and clean the contacts with 220 grit sandpaper. Unplug the saw before performing any maintenance.
Dan In Southern California

Dawie

Re: DeWalt 788 Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:24:25 am »
Learnt something again today and it's only 8.24am.
David

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:49:26 am »
That is a great tip!  The switch is the only real thing I hear of that people with the DW have trouble with.  Thanks for your post.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:47:22 am »
 I tried compressed air, and it didn't work, infact I had problems starting it, but finally got it to work. What I did I took some sticky  press seal and adhered it over the switch, works great.  Edward

ufgator

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:53:13 am »
I heard a lot about the switch problems when I first got my DW788 . I read of people adding a foot switch and then covering the switch on the saw with packaging tape.  Seems to work great.  The foot switch is the best thing I've done as well as replacing the Dewalt light assembly with a flourescent light with a magnifier. I can use just the light, just the magnifier or both at the same time.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:55:40 am by ufgator »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:20:31 am »
I tried compressed air, and it didn't work, infact I had problems starting it, but finally got it to work. What I did I took some sticky  press seal and adhered it over the switch, works great.  Edward
Edward, Using compressed air will make it worse! My point was to not use it.

ufgator, Yes a lot of scrollers like to use a foot switch, but for me I don't, so I try to keep the switch as dust free as possible.

northie66

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 12:35:55 am »
My DW788 switch started acting up.  That's when I got the foot pedal.  I'm glad I did because it's awesome!  Love it!

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 12:38:03 am »
im also a member of the footpedal user club  ;D

BULL65

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 02:11:15 am »
I haven't had a problem... yet, but you never know! I just give it a quick pass over with my shop-vac once in a while.

thumbs

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 10:01:10 am »
Ok Dan--here's one for you. I use a foot switch with my Dewalt. yesterday I was cutting and the saw just stopped. thought it might be a fuse. So I popped out the fuse holder , dropped it, and then stepped on it as I was turning to see where it went to. new fuse holder $25. Can a guy just put an inline fuse on the two connections. also can a switch go bad even if you are using a foot switch. I didn't have mine covered--Richard aka thumbs

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:25:53 am »
Thumbs, I don't know about the fuse but yes the switch can go bad even if you don't use it. If it is not covered saw dust can still get into it and get between the contacts. If your careful you can take the switch apart and clean the contacts. If you don't use the switch you can even wire the switch out, if you know what your are doing!

SMF

Teknoromi