Author Topic: Cutting a straight line  (Read 1589 times)

grampa

Cutting a straight line
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:37:58 pm »
I saw this article and thought I would pass it on, I have not tried it yet  but I will give it a go....Paul ;D
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/tools/straight_cuts_with_a_scroll_saw/index.htm

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting a straight line
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »
Very interesting. I will try that sometime. The thing is, how often do you really need a straight cut? I do from time to time but most stuff is curved lines. I'll probably forget about this idea untill after I make my next straight cut and then cuss alot when I rember it. ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

northie66

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 06:38:47 pm »
Good idea!  I'll have to try this.  I don't like the idea of safety glasses though.   :P

thumbs

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:47:17 pm »
really interesting, Paul. Thanks for sharing it--I'll have to try this method--I don't know if you have cheap stores in England. We call them Dollar stores--I guess you might have 1/2 pound stores. those metal rules are only a dollar and that cheap enough.  regards--Richard aka thumbs

Becky

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:47:29 pm »
No kidding, Richard?  I've been looking for some inexpensive metal rulers and it never even crossed my mind to look in a dollar store.  Thanks for the tip!

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 02:29:51 am »
Looks worth trying. I beter get of the forum before my brain overheats this is the 2nd thing I have learnd in 10 minutes and have only been on about this long.
David

UHMNL

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 11:07:24 am »
Why not trying the FD-UR blades, they don't have a burr. However cutting a straight line is just like driving a car, you constantly have to move the sterring wheel to go straigth.
FD Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:12:29 am »
FD Mike, That is an excellent analogy! If you don't mind I am going to use that line in my scroll saw classes!
Dan In Southern California

UHMNL

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 12:16:44 pm »
Hi Dan,
The reason for this is that there are soft and hard spots in the wood. A blade likes to go to the soft spots.
FD Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »
Thanks mike. :D
Dan In Southern California

northie66

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 08:27:18 pm »
Thanks Mike. It's nice to know why!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 08:59:34 pm »
Sorry I understand what you are saying, but I have never had a problem cutting a straight line.  ::)  ::)  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

northie66

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 12:26:24 am »
Actually yesterday was the first time I had to cut a straight line that was pretty long.  I didn't seem to have a problem either.

BULL65

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 02:03:04 am »
I couldn't cut a straight line if my life depended on it... Close... yes, but not a perfect straight line. I'm guessing this method would have to be done with skip-toothed blades, not the reversal ones I normally use? I could see the reversal blades chewing up the ruler, or worse, snapping and the pieces flying mentioned.

SMF

Teknoromi