Author Topic: Organizing Fonts  (Read 1034 times)

northie66

Organizing Fonts
« on: July 24, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »
Anyone have a good way of keeping track what fonts they've used on particular pieces?  Do you save copies of your work and include the font name in the name?  Or do you have a book or something?  I'm trying to decide what to do.

Sometimes I make something and then I want that font again but I can't remember what it was called.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Organizing Fonts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 11:26:03 pm »
Good question.  I had not given it much thought.  Now I won't sleep tonight trying to figure out a way to keep em organized.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 11:37:29 pm »
I have not used fonts that much, but my thoughts are that I would do a book/file with the fonts and the names. I think including then in the name of your patterns will work up to a certain stage, but I think that as your patterns become more, it will become more difficult to find the font, as with a book/file you can just page through and find the font.
David

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:55:18 pm »
I printed out samples of the fonts I use on any woodworking project, probably 10 different ones and put them in a notebook where I can refer to them when needed.   
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Shirley

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 06:18:35 am »
I put all my patterns in a binder and use the clear page protectors to keep them in (this way I don't have to worry about punching holes and ruining the pattern).  Then I use tab pages to categorize the patterns.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:30:04 am »
Hi, Janet:

I had made a welcome sign and a customer requested it in Spanish.  It took me a couple of hours to figure out which font I used for the original sign.  I do my stuff in Adobe Illustrator and when I am working with the lettering, I usually need to convert it to vector so it is no longer read as a font, but rather as vector line work. I rarely use a font without making changes with it so it is able to be cut.  This also helps when I send files so that there is no missing fonts, as you are turning the letters into objects, but it does create a problem because it is no longer type and you can't change anything or see what font you originally use. 

After finally finding the font I used, I now type on the page the name of the font on the artboard somewhere off to the side.  This way if I need to go to the original file to change it, or even if I like that particular font and want to use it for something else, it is right there for me to read.  I didn't go back on the older patterns, but from now on that is what I will be doing.  Better late than never, I guess! :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 09:45:33 am »
There are over 700 fonts on my puter.  I have been going to get around to deleting what look like duplicates but it is a daunting job, however it does show what they look like when I go to fonts in the control  panel
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi