Author Topic: Burl Question?  (Read 1279 times)

boxmaker

Burl Question?
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:20:28 pm »
I received a Cherry Burl from a friend of mine today. It is green wood. It is about 24 inches long and 14 inches in diameter. I was wondering now that I have it, what do I do with it. I do not have a lathe. I would like to dry it and re-saw it on my band saw for some thin lumber, I would like to make him a small box, if I could, but I am not sure on how to dry it or prepare it for cutting. Or even if I could use it for lumber, is the grain going to be to crazy to work with? Thanks Mark.

daneklund

Re: Burl Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:30:10 pm »
I got a small burl from someone at work.  I let it air dry for many months in the AZ sun.  I recently cut some of it on the bandsaw to see what it was like.  The grain was crazy inside and should make some great one-of-a-kind ornaments.  Before letting it start to dry too much, you should seal the ends with some paint or wood treatment so that it does not dry too fast.  Drying too fast will cause the checking and cracking.  I am sure someone else can add their experience also.  Good luck.

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:38:21 am »
Hi Mike I have this book which I have never used, hope to one day. This guy makes callapsoble castles from burls. I thought it looked nice and bought the book. I am placing a pic of the cover. Don't know if you can buy patterns loose.
David

[attachment deleted by admin]

northie66

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:25:40 pm »
The book only has one amazon review and it's not good. Let us know if you feel differently.

http://www.amazon.com/Scroll-Saw-Castles-Make-Collapsible/dp/156523135X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279840708&sr=8-1

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:29:34 pm »
If you are going to re-saw it.  My opinion is re-saw it now.  Then lay the green wood stickered (place sticks in between layers) to dry slowly in your shop.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:23 pm »
Burls or burrs are usually turned wet as there is not a lot of movment in the wood when it is wet, if you want to cut thin strips why don't you cut 2 or 3 off and put them to one side to dry, you can get proper wood sealer for this and I normally coat the whole of the wood, make sure you have space all between each piece of wood when drying, it would dry whith in a couple of months being thin say 1/4", keep it in an airy place, drying it in one solid piece would take a couple of years
Jimbo

boxmaker

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:38 pm »
I want to thank all of you for your input. I think after reading your post, I will cut it in half then re-saw thin wood and stack with spacers and let dry for awhile. I originally thought it was fresh cut, but it was covered in mud and dirt. I cleaned it up today and called the guy I got it from he said he cut it last year and it laid there for a year on the ground. So I think I should be safe with cutting it and stacking it with spacers to dry, I will let you know how it turns out. I will also try to get a pic of it thanks again Mark.

Dawie

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:02:18 am »
Have not made anything yet Janet,but the description does takes a bit of figuring out. Good luck Mark. Let us know how things get along.
david

SMF

Teknoromi