Author Topic: Oiling as a finish?  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Oiling as a finish?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:58 pm »
Janet my Dear "Thou Shall Not Paint Wood" Merlin's motto and always has been, except for MDF and the like (man made board).

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:37 pm »
That is ANOTHER line I am NOT touching!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dawie

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 12:04:09 am »
Thanks every one as soon as temps let up I will go nosing around to see what oils this little country holds. Think I will leave the Castrol to Charlie. Janet you do like to put a spanner in the works ;), don't you :P.?
David

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:10 am »
Dawie, That would be a wrench here in the states ;D
Dan In Southern California

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 06:42:01 am »
I personally like Watco Danish Oil.  I save meat trays to use for dipping small pieces.  It seems to coat even pine fairly evenly.  Then I use Howard's Feed-N-Wax for extra shine and protection - especially on puzzle pieces.  It seems to protect and help the pieces glide together easier.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 10:57:44 am »
Hey David. Seems like there are many ways and products to do this. I  make a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits in a mason jar. I use one of several metal baking pans or cookie sheets. Pour the oil mixture over the project. Let it soak for 10-30 minutes. Drain off the excess oil then wipe off with a clean lint free rag. I use compressed air to blow the oil off the project if needed. After three or four days I apply several coats of Deft semi gloss spray lacquer.

DG you're right.. There's so many different methods. For me it depends on the project. Plus I love to experiment. The water based product lines are getting more advanced now. But time will tell if those finishes will be as durable as oil based. I haven't used water based much but  I've noticed alot of crafters are using water based dyes and finishes to promote their products as being "green". So that might be  something for everyone to consider if you are selling. Maybe I'll make that my weekend project and experiment with it and post what I did if anyone is interested.

Dave

Dawie

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 12:24:24 pm »
Sounds intresting Dave.
David

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 07:08:30 pm »
Do post your results Dave...
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

northie66

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:14 pm »
Jimbo... i hate oil - gives me hives.  OHHHHHHHH... ur talking woodwork.  Oh, well, maybe I wood like it on that.  I just don't get the whole process.  Oil it, let it sit for days, some kind of clear coat.  It hasn't sunk in yet.  Besides, the only woods I've used are poplar -  which to me doesn't look good with a stain... although maybe oil would be different.  I have a piece of red oak but I haven't worked much with it.  It's like I'm saving it.  For what, I don't know.

David... what's a spanner?  Did you mean spanker?   :o

sp_343

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 07:27:03 pm »
I have always used the lemon oil but I am going to give the Danish Oil a shot this weekend.  Hope it works well, I like the way the oil's make the color and grain "pop".

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »
More ways to finish wood than you can imagine. I learn a little every day.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 10:35:48 pm »
Hi SP  Here is a pic of a practice bowl I made out of an old piece of scrap plywood using danish oil. I was amazed how it popped the grain.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »
LOL or maybe not... I'll have to figure out what size the pic has to be before it will accept it

Dawie

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 11:46:59 pm »
Dave that would be 128kb max.
David

SMF

Teknoromi