Author Topic: Oiling as a finish?  (Read 2945 times)

Dawie

Oiling as a finish?
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:58:52 am »
I have wanted to ask this for a while, but then get distracted by something else. I read here that quite a lot of you use oil as a finish to your work. I have never tried it and had not heard of it before. Can you guys explain to me what type of oils can be used and how do I apply them and what treatment must I give the wood before/after?
Thanks.
David

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Oiling as a finish?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:47:19 am »
I sand my work prior to cutting down to 220, after I cut I do a hand sanding depending on delicateness (is that a word) fragility.  I then remove any sawdust by using either a tack cloth or my air compressor.  Then depending on size of the project I dip it in either lemon oil full strength or tung oil which I mix about 50/50 with mineral spirits.  I mix with m/s because it helps it dry faster.  After it has soaked for a few minute, I place it on a paper towel for a few minutes to let it absorb and drip off the some of the residual oil.  I blow off the excess with my air compressor or wipe down with a lint free old t-shirt.

That's how I do it..
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:21:15 pm »
Thanks dunk. Do you mean by dipping, putting the oil in some container so you can lay the wood in it? Or do you do it differently.
David

shissta

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:34:51 pm »
I bought a cheap container and dumped the oil in so I can dip the wood projects in the Lemon oil.  After I dry it off I use minwax Polycrylic protective finish so the oil doesn't seap out and get on the wall etc.  Depending on what your going to do with the project.  Get a nice shine to your project with the oil.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:36:42 pm »
Depending on the size of the object.  I can dip puzzle pieces right into the storage jar.  Larger pieces I have a toss out aluminum pan I pour the solution over the top of the piece and let it soak in there for a while.  I try to do most of my finishing for a week on one day so I can be sure the dust has settled in the air first.  LOL
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:07:47 pm »
Thanks guys and now to see what oils are available around this part of the world, will go google a bit later. As I am confound to the pc room today and me thinks tomorrow. Hot hot and more hot here and the pc room has the blower in it.
David.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 01:29:50 pm »
I use different methods and different oils depending on the project and the finish I want to achieve. On things like fretwork projects where there isn't alot of flat surface I sand the blank down through the grits from 150 to 220 before I cut. I do a final detail sanding with 320 grit then blow it off. I use BLO (boiled linseed oil) for the finish by either dipping it or wiping it on using a clean soft cloth. If I want a low sheen natural look I will recoat with BLO until it's unform. (usually 3 coats depending on the wood) I let it soak in for about 30 minutes before I wipe off any excess then let it stand until the oil has soaked in before I recoat. If I want a gloss or satin finish I use 2 coats of BLO and a coat of spray laquere or satin enamel. On projects like boxes, bowls etc. I use either tung oil or BLO. If the project is maple I'll use one coat BLO to pop the grain and make it really stand out. I let it stand usually over night. If I want a really high gloss I'll spray 4 or 5 coats of finish lightly sanding with 600 grit between coats. Another spray finish I use is home made which consists of 1 part BLO, 2 parts poly and I thin it with mineral spirits. I don't use straight oil as the first step with this. You can aslo mix it 1/3 parts of each and use it as a wipe on or brush on varnish. Just don't mix up more than you'll use in a couple days because it doesn't keep well. My advice would be to experiment with different oils on scraps from the project before deciding how you want to finish it. I haven't used lemon oil but its on my list of things to try. Another thing I use instead of a tack cloth is re-useable micro-fiber cloths made by scothbrite. After two years they still work great. Just put them in the washing machine and they're good to go again. I bought them at Target or Walmart. I don't remember.

Have fun
Dave

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:32:02 pm »
I tried Castrol GTX...um, didn't seem to look right.  ;D

Dragonlord85

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:11:05 pm »
Maybe it was not the right weight of oil Charlie. LOL

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:21:12 pm »
The best oil to use is tung oil it dries to a hard finish and a low sheen, it should be mixed 50/50 with mineral turps and left to dry, I have not used the dip prosses yet but intend to, I have been useing a small brush, tung oil is dear so I use boiled linseed wich is next best, it darkens the wood a shade more but dries to a good surface, I use this on chopping boards I make as well and apply 3 or 4 coats with a broad brush, this oil can be picked up at a hardware shop
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 08:29:52 pm »
Hey David. Seems like there are many ways and products to do this. I  make a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits in a mason jar. I use one of several metal baking pans or cookie sheets. Pour the oil mixture over the project. Let it soak for 10-30 minutes. Drain off the excess oil then wipe off with a clean lint free rag. I use compressed air to blow the oil off the project if needed. After three or four days I apply several coats of Deft semi gloss spray lacquer.
Dan In Southern California

northie66

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 08:37:49 pm »
I just say, "Screw the whole finish thing!" and throw some paint on it.  ha!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:46:15 pm »
Well Janet, When I'm using a nice piece of hardwood I just can't see painting it. As a woodworker I want the natural color and grain to stand out. I just could not see painting this wood.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dan In Southern California

northie66

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 08:46:56 pm »
I agree... but my stuff is different.  If I made something like that, I wouldn't want to paint it either.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »
Why don't you then? you may like playing in oil
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi