Author Topic: The science of scrolling  (Read 2402 times)

Shogun

The science of scrolling
« on: October 30, 2013, 01:41:26 pm »
To start out this may not seem like a scrolling topic but I think readers will see the connection. I was in my shop this morning thinking and a post from a new member popped in my head. He said he had been watching vids on u-tube and was amazed at the speed at which some scrollers turn and cut their work. So I started thinking about that in its self, and suddenly it clicked. Science, and this is where it gets interesting. I am a fairly accomplishes Martial Artist. Back in the day I competed on a regular basis. I remember in one tournament I defeated an opponent using the same technique 3 times in a row in less than two minutes. Why?....Muscle Memory. Granted some athletic ability helps but in general it is the sole reason athletes make what it is they do look effortless. Basically it boils down to this, When we as humans do the same thing over and over again thousands of times or for countless hours our muscles actually "learn" how to react and our movements become "instinctual" and we don't have to think about them, making our reactions seem almost instantaneous. So, when you're told, practice, practice, practice, here...the old timers aren't kidding. It can take a long time, and speed is not of utmost importance but muscle memory is still key to the game, the more you do it, the better you will get.     

countryscroller

Re: The science of scrolling
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:14:01 pm »
That makes sense to me. When I would cut a portrait with a lot of cuts, after a while it would seem like I am just watching myself cut it and my hands are doing all the work. I'm not really thinking about the motions of the turns or anything. Kind of weird.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 02:25:30 pm »
Shogun - what you say applies to music as well. There's no way you can transmit enough information fast enough from brain to fingers to play a quick reel on the fiddle. Same with human speech - learning to turn a thought into vocal muscle control is a huge task - and it can be done well only by children under a few years old!

It's funny that this great hobby seems to be adopted mostly by retirees (or at least adults). Probably has to do with the equipment cost, because it's not much of a safety concern. Imagine if kids started scrolling at 3 or 4 years old. I had a teacher who said you acquire Talent through inheritance; you acquire Skill through practice; when you combine Talent with Skill you get Art.

Take a look at the Country Scroller videos - Dustin just turned 16 this year! Maybe we should all try to sponsor a sub-six year old to start learning this stuff.  

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Shogun

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:25:36 am »
EIEIO, You're absolutely right, this can apply to practically everything

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:38:25 pm »
EIEIO, just a safety question. when would you take the hold down off the scroll saw? at a certain age or after a certain amount of practice, or leave it off all together?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 01:27:08 pm »
When assembling your new saw just don't even install it!

That way you learn from the very beginning that you have to exert a little 'downward' pressure while guiding the wood into the blade.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 02:13:27 pm »
I agree with GB - you really don't need the hold down if your blade is installed right-side-up. I'd say a kid should learn without the hold down. BUT kids should wear a dust mask and safety glasses, and should learn how to clean up after the job is done.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:57:31 am »
I put my grandkids on my lap (ages 2 and 5) and let them cut.  No hold down. 

no1texan

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:11 am »
First about muscle memory, I think you are right on and possibly need to add one more aspect. I try, not always consistent, to exercise my 3 score and 10+ body. My doctor told me recently that if we have exercised our whole life and then lay off for 3 weeks, it is as if we have never exercised. I know if I have been away from scrolling for several weeks or month, when I start back I go through a bit of catching up to get back in the groove. So exercise, as already stated earlier, plays a role in scrolling quality.
Second, bringing up the youngsters. I have been going to a particular craft show for several years but usually don't do much as far as sales are concerned. I was talking with a number of the organizers (church craft show), how youngsters can do scrolling fairly safely. Then I said I have thought about bringing my Dewalt to the show (would need to compile a plan how I could involve the kids since there will be a lot of them) - the organizers liked the idea. So I may do this next year - will enjoy this probably more than trying to make a buck.

Shogun

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 01:11:51 pm »
no1texan, Very true and thank you for mentioning it as I neglected to mention it. I haven't been a practicing Martial Artist in several years now because my knees are getting bad and when I do, do a little I can see just how rusty I am...how ever I scroll almost every day. As the old saying goes....If you don't use it, you lose it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 02:05:16 pm »
Practice makes Perfect....NOT!

PROPER Practice makes Perfect.

If you keep practicing and you are not doing something correctly you just reinforce and embed the mistakes.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

malc

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:18:12 pm »
I agree with 'muscle memory' when I cut out cog wheels for my clocks which often contain 60+ identical cuts on the trot, I become faster and more accurate as I go on, but, and a big but is that I must not let my mind wander, because if I do...disaster! and usually on about tooth 50!!!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 07:49:04 pm »
Malc - I have not made a clock yet, but you are correct that your blade wanders when your mind wanders. I can see it when following a straight line. I read a book on how to draw, and they say the exact same - if you keep your attention right at the pencil point on paper, you can draw an almost perfect circle (better with practice), but a small distraction or look-ahead and you wander off the path.

no1texan - you might take a look at one of the Makers' Faires. These are annual get-togethers of people who like to make stuff. They set up a tent with maybe 100 soldering irons and a few techs, and let the kids at the Faire assemble electronic kits. The tents are always full - kids really like to do something outside the sphere of their parents. Scrolling would be similar, I think.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:44:41 pm »
I learned when I was racing, and it is true when driving or riding a motorcycle or bike also. You will go where you are LOOKING not where you SHOULD go. Never look at an obstruction or you will hit it! Focus on the fastest, smoothest or safest way to go.
I think this is just as true with scroll sawing. Don't look at the knot, grain of the wood or the piece of tape that came loose just concentrate on the line you need to follow to make a smooth cut. Never force it or try to hurry, the end will be there when you get to it.
The other thing I learned was to BREATHE! I'm serious, sometimes when a person is trying to go too hard to do something, weather it is negotiating a tight corner, miss a another car or obstruction, they HOLD THEIR BREATH! I found this to be true when I first started scrollsawing also. I would make a long cut trying to be smooth and by the time I finished it, I would be gasping for air and taking deep breaths before I started the next cut. Just keep a normal breathing pace, relax and look at the line you are cutting.
As I've said before, "This is fun not rocket science!" And has been said so many times before by others "Practice and muscle memory will make it even easier as time goes by."
Keep making sawdust.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

zeroloc

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 09:48:41 am »
Shogun, I totally agree with you on the muscle memory, I used to teach martial arts and I play pool quite a lot too and both become muscle memory through repetition. I have been scrolling for 3 weeks now and I'm not near as fast as most people when it comes to scrolling but I take my time and try for the best outcome.

When I taught martial arts, I told my students that if they would train to do a technique slowly then they would be able to do it at combat speed without effort. Trying to do a new technique fast only exposes and compounds the flaws of the fundamentals needed to execute properly. By going slowly at first will ensure proper fundamentals and create the muscle memory that's necessary to execute the technique quickly and effortlessly. We humans are highly adaptable creatures and with the right amount of patience and motivation can learn to do anything! Well that's my thoughts on the subject, good topic!

SMF

Teknoromi