Author Topic: BLO and Mineral Spirits  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
BLO and Mineral Spirits
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:03 am »
I know the subject of BLO/Mineral Spirits has been discussed many times, but, I have a couple of questions. I have never used either product, but, went to Home Depot and purchased a gallon of each. The oil is boiled and the spirits is odorless. After mixing, I felt the mixture was still too thick for my liking and thought the mineral spirits was strange.( looked like milk, even after shaking, is this right?). I was really pleased with how my wood looked, but, still did not like the thickness. I was wandering if the spirits were bad? I have never used it before, just paint thinner instead. How much would it effect the results of the BLO if I added more spirits or should I just use it as is? The problem I have with the thickness is getting it out of fret work areas, etc. Since I have never used either of these products, I would appreciate feedback from those who use this mixture.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: BLO and Mineral Spirits
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:25:47 am »
I use BLO/MS, but I get the MS in a can that is not milky white.  I do have a gallon ofthe milky type, and it works good as paint/glue remover and it has very low odor.  Have not tried it as a mix, yet.Last year I had a problem with BLO/MS where  after applying it would not dry or cure. Stayed sticky for a very long time. Humidity was discussed as a culprit but I think I have found a better answer/reason.  When I put the mixture on pieces of oak plywood it remains tacky for a good while (2-3 weeks). When I put the same mixture on solid wood it works great. Might be the glues used in the ply keeps it from absorbing into the wood, and only the top veneer is absorbing. I switched to shellac on the ply and more or less problem solved.  I eliminated the humidity by trying it during the winter with dry air and same results as summer.  Be interesting to see if others have used the low odor milky type with good results.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:47:48 am »
Are you guys talking about "Mineral Spirits" or "Mineral Oil"? These are two different things.

Mineral SPIRITS is a paint thinner for oil-based paint and stains. Even though the spirits that I have are considered "odorless" there is some smell to it. Also it is completely clear. I don't think I would drink it.

Mineral OIL on the other hand is completely food safe and is used as a lubricant laxative. The oil is completely odorless and clear and I suppose that if I needed a laxative, I wouldn't mind a teaspoon of it.

Both are "Food Safe" once cured as far as ingesting them goes.

The "milky white" stuff is something fairly new and is supposed to be a "food safe no odor and cheaper" for DIY'ers  who don't know any better and are very "green" in thought word and deed. I haven't used it myself.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:28 am »
Hey Tony, unfortunately what you bought is recycled,environmentally safe mineral spirits. It is not suitable for mixing with BLO. I hope you didn't mix the whole two gallons together! Regular mineral spirits is deodorized paint thinner. If you can't find regular mineral spirits, you can use paint thinner.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:20 am »
Yep! Watch out for that Environmentally Friendly stuff!
1. They charge more for it!
2. That milky consistency needs to be constantly remixed by shaking and is a PITA!

Just go to your friendly 'paint store' and get the good ol' fashioned Mineral Spirits. This is the same stuff that is sold right next to it called 'paint thinner' but the refinery took most of the 'stink' out.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 11:08:02 am »
Yep! I mixed the gallon of BLO and Spirits! Now, will the regular spirits or thinner make the BOL not so thick?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 11:15:04 am »
Yep! I mixed the gallon of BLO and Spirits! Now, will the regular spirits or thinner make the BOL not so thick?
It should. Try it on a small amount first. You might want to try and filter out the milkiness with a paint filter. I don't know if it will work or not but worth a try.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi