Author Topic: EX21 Lever Tension Problem  (Read 8426 times)

ShadowB6

EX21 Lever Tension Problem
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:10:37 am »
My 21" Excalibur has developed its first problem. Hopefully someone can help me out. There is a white teflon (i think it's teflon) lever that sets the tension. When pushed down to set the tension, this lever now pops right back up relieving the tension off the blade. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: EX21 Lever Tension Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:59 am »
Did you check to see if the upper arm is still parallel to the table? If it drops down a bit then the white level will not put much tension on the blade and will not be held in place.

That lever is a wear part that can be replaced. It is supposed to be greased once in a while to keep it working smoothly.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

ShadowB6

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:51:49 am »
Yep EIEIO, the upper arm is down all the way. There doesn't appear to the eye, to be anything wrong with the lever itself. As a matter of fact, when I greased it this morning, the lever pops back up even more easily now by itself. I took the tension assembly of the saw and worked the lever in the tension position and with no pull on it, it still pops right back to the untensioned position. I'm truly baffled. Also how do you get the lever out from the tension assembly? Is a special tool required?

Mike

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:30:57 am »
The top arm should be parallel to the table (about 2 3/4" above the table) for its full length.

On my EX-21 the white lever is held in place with a Philips head barrel nut and screw that runs horizontal through the lever. Has that come loose?

With my white lever flipped back in the tension position, the top of the lever is almost horizontal (slopes slightly up to the rear).

Notice that just in front of the white lever there is a white nylon screw that runs vertically down through the bracket. The upper blade clamp stops against that screw when the lever is flipped back. If that screw somehow got screwed further down, or something stuck on the bottom of it, it would stop the clamp from coming up which would stop the white lever from going all the way back and locking in place. Is it possible that the nylon screw is out of position?

When you flip the white lever to tension the blade (and you hold it in place), do you get a good Ping when plucking the blade?

If something got stuck under the lever it might also stop it from going to the tension position.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:32:55 am »
Mike check this out it well help get your EX-21 it all tuned.

http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/articles/excalibur-tuning

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:49:05 am »
There is a plastic screw in the front of the lever pivot point, this is an adjustment to lock the lever in position. I dont know the correct adjusting procedure/setting, but as you set the tension it pulls the metal clamp block up against this screw. Maybe someone here knows the correct setting procedure for it. I'll email Darren at Axminster Power Tools to see if he can send me the settings as he adjusted mine when it had same problem.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

ShadowB6

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:55 am »
Thanks Newfie but there was nothing in that article to help with my problem.

EIEIO - Everything you mention checks out. The problem is that when I flip the tension lever to apply the tension, it just flips right back to unload the tension. I'm wondering and maybe you could check this for me as I've never noticed before. My tension lever is now fully rounded. Could it be that due to wear and tear it has rounded and no longer catches. Could you please check yours to see if it's rounded all the way round front and back of the lever. Maybe I need a new lever, but I don't remember what a brand new one is supposed to look like. Thanks again. I've written to Seyco, but don't know if they ship to Canada.

Mike

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:01:11 pm »
I had the same problem and contacted Ray at Seyco and he sent me a replacement part with an upgrade to it for my saw.  He said it has been addressed in new saws and now they make the part a little different.

It looked to me like they just sanded it down a little to make it have a shelf or lip so it would sit flatter.  Anyway there is an upgrade available.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:03:58 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:07:35 pm »
Sorry Mike - I was gluing up a new knife handle and got distracted.

I removed my white lever and attached a picture of it. You can see that there is a flat, a round, then a flat. It sits on the 1st flat when tension is released, then on the 2nd flat when tension is set.

The barrel nut and washer came off with no trouble to release the lever. This saw is an anniversary (black and gold) EX-21 that I received Feb 1, 2013. So if there is a new design, this is probably it.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

ShadowB6

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:01:25 pm »
Thanks EIEIO. But how do I remove the white lever from the assembly. You said that, "Philips head barrel nut and screw that runs horizontal through the lever". I can attach a picture later (at work right now) but my barrel nut and screw as you call it is hollow and I can see right through to the other side. Is this correct?

Anyway, In reading Dunk's comments, I contacted Ray at Seyco today and he's going to ship me a new modified "flip tensioner assembly". Shipping rates are ridiculous however (not him but USPS) so I took advantage and also ordered the round tightener knobs for the top and bottom.

Ray however, offered me a temporary solution of which I'll try later tonight until my stuff comes in.

Thanks for your help guys;

Mike

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:58:50 pm »
Here's a photo of mine. It sounds like you might have a hollow rivet or roll pin rather than the barrel nut and screw that is on mine. Maybe Ray Seymore can give instructions for removing your tension lever.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

ShadowB6

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:13 pm »
EIEIO, it seems that your flip tension assembly is completely different from mine. I have that barrel type of bolt and yours seems to be a solid bolt. How old is your EX21? I bought mine in April of 2012 and was wondering why General would make them different. I like yours better as I would assume it is much easier to disassemble.

Mike

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 06:55:13 pm »
I received my EX-21 on Feb 1 2013.

I was at WoodWerx in Columbus this week and went to look at their Excalibur saws. They did not have an EX-21 but they had an EX-16 and an EX-30.

The EX-30 has a spring pin (or roll pin) holding the lever. This is a hollow steel pin made by rolling a piece of flat stock into a cylinder. 
A spring pin can be driven out with a punch or pressed out. You said Seyco sent you a replacement lever assembly - I'd think it would have instructions for removing the old lever, and I'd hope it came with the new barrel nut and screw. If not, I would look for a hex bolt with the same diameter and a lock nut to put on it, or a plain nut and lock it with blue Locktite.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:49:22 pm »
Thanks Newfie but there was nothing in that article to help with my problem.

. I've written to Seyco, but don't know if they ship to Canada.

Mike

I don't know where you got your machine but I am in Canada too and when I had a problem I called General in Montreal and they sent me a new part the same day.  They where extremely helpull.

Don

ShadowB6

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 12:25:21 am »
Yeah Don, I wish General offered the option of picking up the part as I live 50 minutes from downtown Montreal. I could've had the part and be back home within 2 hours.

EIEIO, I'm assuming that Seyco is sending me the entire flip tension assembly as they charged me $54 for the part. No way could it be that much for just the nylon lever. (I would hope)

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi