Author Topic: Problem With Blade Tension  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Problem With Blade Tension
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:03:15 am »
I am having blade tension problems with my Ex 21 and I hate to call Ray if it is not a machine problem. I am hoping it is something I can fix myself. I use FD blades and I wipe the blade ends with 220 grit paper before installing. I fine tune the tension with the knob at back and start cutting. But, in just a few moments, the tension has slacked a little, so , I fine tune again. I have just replaced the top blade holder and tension lever, and new set screws and thumb screws,so, it should be ok. Any ideas? I am hoping it is just a simple correction that I am overlooking.

Tony,aka,Toneman
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:05:23 am by Toneman »

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Problem With Blade Tension
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:15:22 am »
Hi, Tony:
My partner Keith wrote an article on "Fine Tuning the Excalibur Scroll Saw" that may help.  The back knob should be used for squaring the blade, not tensioning it.  If you want to read it, it is here:

http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/articles/excalibur-tuning

We use mineral spirits on the blades and also clean the blade holders regularly.  Once you put in a blade that may be a little oily, it will contaminate the holders so you need to re-clean them.  Make sense?  I clean them by dipping the ends into a small jar that I keep the mineral spirits. I then sometimes even use a quick spray on Windex on the ends to clean off the mineral spirits and make sure that they are not slippery at all. 

I hope this helps you.  Let us know how you do. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:01:49 am »
Thank you Sheila for the information. I am going to my shop right now and follow your instructions. I feel it is something simple and easy. I did not clean the new set screw or thumb screw before installing them and they may have had oil on them. So, I am going to take them out and start over and will take them out periodically for a cleaning and squaring.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:06:33 am »
We hope it helps, Tony.  So many people use that knob in the back for "fine tensioning" and in reality they are throwing their saw out of square.  Keith wrote this article because we get numerous inquiries about this and hopefully it helps clarify its function.  We ran the article past Ray and he thought it was good.  :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:01:29 pm »
Thanks Sheila! My saw is back to normal now! I rechecked my arm and it was too low in the front, so, I took it back to zero and readjusted until the front and back were the same ( 2 3/4"+). I think it was about 2 5/8+ in the back, so that meant the front was really too low. I guess over a period of time, I had been turning the back knob and it was out of whack! I read the article and it made since, so now I know. Thanks again.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:08:52 pm »
Good to hear, Tony!  I found that the back knob on my saw was turning when I used my drill press, which is located right next to the saw.  The vibration caused the knob to turn and I didn't know why it kept needing adjustment until we figured it out!  I am glad the article helped you. :)  Happy sawing!

:D  Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Knowledge Is Power

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:32:37 am »
I adjusted the back knob and put a dab of paint on it so I know when it vibrates away from the proper setting and can easily reset without measuring the front and back arm.  I also have a wood block cut to size so without the measuring tape I can just slip it under the back and slide it forward on the table to see if the front has dropped.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:10:44 am »
We do the same thing here PigsFly.  We mark where the adjustment is good to make it easy to get back to 'ground zero.' :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:43:43 pm »
I am marking the "spot" and cutting a block tomorrow! Thanks guys!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:37:32 am »
Thanks for all the info to help Tony, I have printed off the set-up instructions from your site Sheila, my saw is ok at the minute and has been since Axminster Power Tools set it up for me, but it will surely need adjusting in the future so I made sure I have a copy to do it with. Thanks Sheila.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

hippi

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 11:15:15 am »
i have an ex16 and i also having trouble with blade tension so how do you really put tension on the blade and some times i have to put something under the lever to keep it on the tension side

yes my arm is level with the table
i wipe my blades with 180 grit paper and retaining screw set screw to
use almost every day for about 4-6 hours
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:25:12 pm by hippi »

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 01:02:33 pm »
I do not think you gave enough clues to where the problem is.  If the bottom of the arm is level to the table as discussed in the prior e-mails it could be your blades need the ends wiped/cleaned with sandpaper or something to get any oils off, it could mean your clamping screw ends end cleaned, or it could mean the white nylon tension adjustment lever has worn and needs replaced - the last would likely only be after extensive use.

Doug
Doug

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:32 pm »
Hippi

Another thought included in some of the prior responses.  For the amount of scrolling you do and especially if you are a bottom feeder and do fret work, have you checked what the parts list calls the upper "sliding bracket" that your thumb screw and set screw are in.  It is made of aluminum and over a period of time the threads can start to strip.  The bottom one is called a blade chuck.  I have had to replace the sliding bracket but not the blade chuck.  Either or both of these could have thread stripping which will let the blade loosen when you start cutting.

Doug
Doug

SMF

Teknoromi