Author Topic: Ornaments Sticking  (Read 4050 times)

wha

Ornaments Sticking
« on: September 23, 2012, 07:12:01 pm »
I have this problem with my ornaments sticking together after they have been sprayed with a clear coat finish. The finish I'm using is Krylon Acrylic crystal clear. This is also happening with ornaments that have been painted as well. Also is their a way to keep them from sticking to the rack I use to set them on when I spray them.

Bill

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Ornaments Sticking
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:11 pm »
I have used these Dry-It boards for years. They are available at the Artist's Club for about $11 each. I keep one for clear coating and one for other types of spraying that I do.  I also have one for drying.  The surface is little points that are very tiny (sharp) and nothing sticks after spraying.  They are really a good investment.  Here is the link:

http://www.artistsclub.com/cfTools/tools_display.cfm?id=70113

Good Luck.  Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 08:41:06 pm »
Sounds to me like you may have humidity problems when spraying, try extending your drying time or add heat in some way. Where are you located as far as temperatures and humidity goes?
As far as a surface for painting, you can make a bed of nails or use small pieces or strips of wood to hold items above the table surface. I have nailed long wires to the ceiling in my shop painting area (the garage) to suspend cuttings while spray painting and drying.
Just some suggestions.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

wha

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:24:00 pm »
Sounds to me like you may have humidity problems when spraying, try extending your drying time or add heat in some way. Where are you located as far as temperatures and humidity goes?
As far as a surface for painting, you can make a bed of nails or use small pieces or strips of wood to hold items above the table surface. I have nailed long wires to the ceiling in my shop painting area (the garage) to suspend cuttings while spray painting and drying.
Just some suggestions.

Rog
I'm in Nova Scotia. Even after a few months they still stick together when stacked on top of each other.
I'll look at making a bed of nails to put them on when spraying.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:54:23 pm »
Painters pyramids work well.  Any woodworkers source will have them.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:19:19 am »
When storing my projects, I place a piece of Wax Paper in between to keep them from sticking.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:24:52 am »
Not to beat a dead horse but, some more suggestions.......
Are you using spray cans? If so are you mixing the paint well? Shake the can well and make that ball rattle.
Are you putting on too heavy of a coat? Use thin coats and sand with very fine grit paper between coats.  Letting each coat dry well and use 400-600 grit or even heavy brown paper bag to knock off the sheen between coats.
I'm not sure about humidity in Nova Scotia but, if you could use a light bulb (lamp) or an electric space heater (DO NOT USE A FLAME OR MICROWAVE OVEN) near the item while drying may help.
Are you using an oil on the items before spraying? Some oils never dry completely (lemon oil and mineral oil come to mind) if so try using boiled linseed oil and let it dry for a few hours or a day, it will dry and fill pores too. Lemon and mineral  finish on the items look good and really pop the grain but they must be wiped off very well before finishing. (or, don't put any more finish on them at all)
Last but not least, try a coat of paste wax and buff to a sheen after the finish has dried. Depending on the cutting, I think this looks the best anyway. :)
Maybe something here will help.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 03:07:50 pm »
An easy idea and doesn't cost much. Take a board and hammer small nails through it so they stick out the other side. Put as many as you choose. I do this and put it on a small lazy susan so I can spin it while I spray

Graywolf

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 04:16:29 pm »

we bought a new fridge last spring. I kept the box and opened one seam and put it in the corner of my shop. I then placed a 1 inch dowel across the top. and I wraped long pieces of soft wire on the dowel and let the ends hang down. that gave me a paint booth.

wha

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:19:34 pm »
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I made a nail bed today and i'll try the brown paper bag and see what happens.

Bill.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »
my 2 cents:

I use clear spray lacker out a can. the one that dries in 10 minutes.
in my basement the temps are about 55- 59 and that's to low for a good drying process.
small projects I dry with a hot hairdryer (think about 113F) and that dries well.
only it will not get very hard, so I let it rest in the cold basement for at least 24 hours and that will harden the lacker.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

wha

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »
I made my nail bed which helped a lot and I set a fan up to blow across the ornaments while they were drying and that helped a lot as well. After they were dry to the touch I hung them up and left them for a day now they don't stick together.

Thanks for all the help.
Bill

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12:02 am »
I never had good success with using the Krylon clear coat varnish.  Laquer or poly.
All said above is important for successfull completion of a project.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 09:01:36 am »
I use the Krylon  all the time
Tried several other brands, but still prefer the Krylon clear. I get mine at Wally World. Price here is $3.64 price at the hardware store for the same can is $7.00  No Brainer!  I use 2- 3 coats. Light sand between with 1000- 1200 grit and after the final I give it a couple swipe with 4000 grit.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:04:39 am by Billy in Va »
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

countryscroller

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 10:00:16 am »
I have a video of a an ornament on my youtube page on the Country Scroller. I painted it, didn't have much trouble with it. Sometimes if I paint something and it is humid out, it is sticky for a while.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrnWLMxCQn8&feature=plcp

SMF

Teknoromi