Author Topic: package tape  (Read 1454 times)

Bamacfa

package tape
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:23 pm »
I use package tape on some of my patterns. Sometimes if there are many cuts the pattern lifts up and makes it hard to cut. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

John

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: package tape
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:21:45 pm »
Make very sure your PATTERN is well adhered to the wood or the Blue Painters' tape and burnish that packing tape down well with a soft cloth or a hard rubber roller!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:27:43 pm »
Here is another tip...Double check to make sure you have removed all the sawdust from your work surface.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

cherie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:18:00 pm »
And try to lay the packing tape FLAT with no air bubbles.  I have this problem quit often when I get in a hurry to tape the wood.  I have also quit using just any old cheap packing tape.  I know it gets expensive, but I use Scotch brand packing tape all the time now.  For one it is thicker and easier to control whereas the cheaper tape would always bunch up and I would waste more than use more.  I also use an exacto knife to cut only what I need.  I cannot cut my work with the tape under my wood considering I use plexiglass on top of my saw table.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 01:42:08 am »
Cherie, what is the plexiglass for?

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

cherie

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 08:43:44 am »
The plexi glass is part of my zero clearance table.

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:03:58 pm »
If you're cutting fretwork it is nice to print the pattern on a adhesive paper. That one does not lift at all.

Bamacfa

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:31 pm »
If you're cutting fretwork it is nice to print the pattern on a adhesive paper. That one does not lift at all.

Now thats a good idea..I need to find some of that

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 08:05:52 pm »
I just re-tape the part that is lifting off.

Tim2beupinAz

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »
I agree with cherie that scotch tape is the best. I use a rubber spreader type item to help my tape stick to the wood better. I got it at work (grocery store) and it is used to get air bubbles out of the advertisments that they stick to the floor. Im sure you can find one at the auto store near the do it yourself window tint stuff. But that is just a guess. I also seen them on EPay. Here is a pictue of one.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 02:00:01 pm »
I do a lot of double bevel inlays...about 25 a week... and I use packing tape on the underside of the wood .  It serves as a good lubricant against the scroll saw table.  The wood slides and turns very well like this.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Bamacfa

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 08:14:49 pm »
Thanks for he tips!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 02:53:41 am »
I found that the clear tape alone on the back of the wood was a real pain to peel off. No I don't have a heat gun and don't like slopping thinner around. So I tape the back with the blue tape when I tape the front and it comes off both surfaces much easier.
I might be wasting some of the spray adhesive but I put plenty on to keep the pattern from lifting up, fluttering patterns make me crosseyed!
Works for me!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi