Author Topic: The Heron  (Read 3493 times)

ChuckD

The Heron
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:14:11 pm »
I was able to get this photo while I was in Alaska.  I was a long wait until it took off but I think the results was worth it.  Now I want to make a pattern for intarsia from it.  However the program I use for resizing does not do so well with photos.  Any other programs I could use to enlarge it to be big enough for a pattern?  This will be my first try for an intarsia pattern.  Thanks for any ideas.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: The Heron
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:50:20 pm »
Beautiful photo Chuck,
How big do you want to make it? PostRazor (Google it) is a free download for sizing larger than one 8 1/2" by 11" sheet I used it to make the pattern for my plaque which was 18" in diameter and required 6 sheets of paper. The only thing I would do differently is make sure the overlaps are glued to each other so there isn't a "bubble" where it's taped together that will lift up and get sawdust inside. You can make it any size you want.
Good luck,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:02 am »
Great picture. I will be looking forward to see how the intarsia pattern comes out

TomC

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:32:39 pm »
that'a a magnificent photo.  I'n glad you were patient enough to wait for it.  It should make a great piece once you get it done.

ChuckD

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:33:48 pm »
Thank you Gabby, that site was what I was needing.  Thanks for all the other comments.  I have gotten this far with Photoshop.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 04:42:26 pm »
That's one of the best pictures of a Heron, in the air I've ever seen.  It will make a Great Intarsia. Would love to see the completed work. 
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 05:40:37 pm »
Thanks Al, I do have a question for you.  When you make your pattern with a photo, how do you go about it?  Do you change it to Black and white as I did or do you keep it colored?  I am going to check to see if it would be sharper if it is in color.  I am going to have to almost redraw this to get each feather in focus.  Will be fun....

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:52:21 pm »
Hi Chuck, re; your Heron picture, I would not make a pattern from it to make the Intarsia; I would use the picture, right from the camera and print it out the size I wanted the Intarsia to be and use the print-out as my pattern.  If there were areas where I couldn't define the feathers I'd take a black Sharpie and mark-up the so called pattern.  I then use 1000H clearprint tracing paper to trace each individual piece and use Scotch Tape to fasten it to the area of the board where I want to cut. That saves all the work of making the pattern.

On rare occasions, where I'll make a pattern, I use the picture, in color, open it in Easy Draw, fade it to about 50% and using the drawing program trace the subject and draw in any extras. Then export it to Poster Print and print out the pattern any size I want, but that's an extra days work which is not necessary, in most cases.

Hope this helps.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:22:51 pm »
Thanks Al, I printed out the picture with postrazer straight from the untouched print (except for the cropping) and it is a lot more defined.  I will have some prints made at Staples and away we go.  (When I finish a 100 foot fence and decorative gate, gazebo,a floral archway, Christmas Presents, an intarsia eagle. A schnauzer, and whatever my Bride may think is more important.)  Then away we go.   

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 10:23:36 pm »
I don't understand all those words, starting with "When I finish & etc." Are they some sort of foreign language; what could be more important than starting an Intarsia?  LOL  All kidding aside, when I run out of woodworking projects my wife has a whole lot of rooms she wants painted.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

ChuckD

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 10:37:32 pm »
Thanks Al, I showed your message to my Bride and said "See, I am not the only one who thinks that".  She wanted to reply to you but to keep peace on the forum (and at home) I deleted it after she wrote it and walked away.  (It was not very complimentary).  Needless to say she has not yet tried intarsia.

May you never run out of projects... LOL

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:27:19 pm »
Ever notice that wives think our time is all theirs and whatever they want done we are to drop what we're doing and do it right then?
Yup I'm well trained too!  ::)
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SheGold

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 04:30:53 am »
Hmm Gabby we do????? I'm usually in the shop myself... LOL.. and have to stop to cook dinner or wash or clean.. Geez you men... Laughing....  ;D

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:45:46 am »
Hmm Gabby we do????? I'm usually in the shop myself... LOL.. and have to stop to cook dinner or wash or clean.. Geez you men... Laughing....  ;D
No, Just Gabby.
Dan In Southern California

Chachi

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:49 am »
Yup I'm well trained too!  ::)
Gabby

Well Gabby that makes two of us.

SMF

Teknoromi