Author Topic: A Curious Question About Speed  (Read 4461 times)

Ken O.

Re: A Curious Question About Speed
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 02:10:21 am »
Gabby, The only time I can do a 180 spin move is when I have a very small blade like #2 or something.  If I try it on the larger blades then yes, BYE BYE blade. But with the small ones do it just like described above, back out just a bit so you're not cutting forward, spin 90, 180, whatever and go, I do it all the time.  RPM doesn't seem to matter much from what I have experienced.   

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 07:40:15 am »
For me, the main purpose of scrolling is pleasure so I never scroll at full speed.  D what is comfortable to you.

UHMNL

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 10:47:43 am »
I agree with all the posts about relax, it is a hobby.
However when not enough speed some have a tendency to start pushing too hard into the blade. This might make the blade start cutting with a bevel and you also might lose control over the blade. That is why I like high speed and I still relax.
FD Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 12:27:28 pm »
OK so if I'm reading this right you end up backing into the kerf you've just cut and just spinning the material around. That's when it goes BANG and you dig out another blade and cuss. This still didn't answer my question about whether or not blade speed makes a difference during those turns. I suspect it does but I'd like to know for sure.

Gabby
OK, Try this. When you get to the corner, back the blade out just a little, then cut back into the kerf and make it a little wider. This will give the blade a little more clearance to spin the wood. Speed should have nothing to do with it. I suspect you don't have enough tension on the blade. If that is not the problem, then go ahead and speed the saw up a little and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, Take two asprins and call me in the morning!

Dan In Southern California

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:52 pm »
Bill I have been/am where you are, "am I being too careful and being overly cautious going too slow or even going too fast like when I find I've just gone off the line *&##@& - what helped me was to watch some of Steve's videos, watch his speed and adjust if possible normal is what normal is for you - like with prunes ;D  Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 02:52:49 pm »
Yum I love prunes, Metamucil too!  ::)
LOL
I guess I'm just a little impatient regarding my learning and skill curve. I'm used to picking up on it faster than I am now. Old SUCKS big time, but I guess it beats the alternative.
Thanks guys for all your input. Bill P. thanks for starting the thread.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:43 am »
Just had to reply.  Steve put out one of his 60 secs. tips a long time ago about turning corners and keeping a sharp look.  I have been using this way ever since.  I normally keep my Hegner lil over half speed.  Never use a blade bigger that a UR5.  When you come to the corner just lightly pull the wood towards the corner and make the turn.  Speed is not a factor in doing this.  Works for me everytime.  Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Spartan scroller

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 04:02:53 pm »
I have found the great basketball coach John Wooden's advice "Be quick but don't hurry" to be verry good.  Be quick means make those tight curves and corners a good quick turn using your finger as a pivot point. Hurry is what causes you to over cut and under cut and creat a sloppy project.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 11:16:08 pm »
Some great advice guys thanks.
Danny do you have the link to that particular video, I probably saw it in my past life, but it wouldn't hurt to refresh my hard drive, just got through doing a defrag on it. LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:46 pm »
Gabby it has been a long time and Guess....If you ask Steve he might be able to send yas the link.  Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 08:47:20 pm »
OK Dan I'm following your instructions sorta, just can't make myself spin that wood yet, but by doing it little by little I'm finally able to make a tight corner. Once I'm done with this plaque I'll do some more of Bill P's practice sheets. Should get there in another month or so. LOL
Every time I use the saw I learn a little something, last time I learned how to turn it on and off, so maybe I'll even learn how to cut wood, ya think?
Thanks for the tips.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:21 pm »
I asked this on another thread, but I can see it's most pertinent here.

I've always taken my time with my cutting, and was always wondering how I compare with others.  When I see vidoes of other scrollers, it looks like they're buzzing through faster than sh....er....very quickly.

It took me between 40-45 hours to do the chess set and board.  For those who've done this project before, how long did it take you?

TIA,

Bill
A friend of mine does compound cutting of chess pieces and tells me it takes him about 1/2 hour per piece. = 16 hours  I make the chessboard with storage drawer for him and it takes me about 24 hours so our total is about the same as yours.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

ChuckD

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 03:16:24 pm »
Gabby, The only time I can do a 180 spin move is when I have a very small blade like #2 or something.  If I try it on the larger blades then yes, BYE BYE blade. But with the small ones do it just like described above, back out just a bit so you're not cutting forward, spin 90, 180, whatever and go, I do it all the time.  RPM doesn't seem to matter much from what I have experienced.  

I have never broken a blade while I cutting a corner.  As you come to the turn, place your finger next to the corner right beside the blade, Hold the back of the blade (you know, the side without teeth) against the wood until the blade is facing (you know, the side with teeth) and then feed the material into the blade.  Fast or slow, this works.  The more you do it, the faster you will become.  I can cut a sharp corner at nearly 180 degrees up to a #5 blade.  Above that (very seldom) I use the back into the corner trick.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:20:06 pm by ChuckD »

chief

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 06:07:48 pm »
Speed kills!!!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:29 pm »
I use the speed control to make depending on the thickness of the wood and the hardness, it seems to me that some wood cuts better at a higher speed than others
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi