Author Topic: A Curious Question About Speed  (Read 4464 times)

Bill P

A Curious Question About Speed
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:54:31 am »
I asked this on another thread, but I can see it's most pertinent here.

I've always taken my time with my cutting, and was always wondering how I compare with others.  When I see vidoes of other scrollers, it looks like they're buzzing through faster than sh....er....very quickly.

It took me between 40-45 hours to do the chess set and board.  For those who've done this project before, how long did it take you?

TIA,

Bill

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: A Curious Question About Speed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:37:04 am »
Don't worry about speed unless you are scrolling to make money. Time doesn't matter if the end result looks like you want it to.
Careful cutting and finish are alot more important than how fast you cut it.
I used to spend 2 hours in a row cutting, now I will cut for 15 minutes and stop for a coke or go to the restroom and not worry about it. Of course, I'm retired and I feel that getting intrupted with a phone call or a friend stopping by is more important than a project. If I get it done today great, if I don't finish it for three days it is OK if it ends up looking like it should.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:49:11 am »
Roger has the right idea...

ENJOY the process and forget about the speed!

If you start putting time constraints on yourself you lose the satisfaction of doing the project.

Unless of course you are in the 'hobby' to make a fortune in which case my understanding is.......... you will not!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:53:26 am »
I never worry about how long I spend on a project. I am just having a great time.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:04:14 am »
Sometimes I do do some cuttings for a few ladies who teach tole painting. So naturally I want to get then done and out of the way as soon as possible. But for everyday cutting, I cut at a moderate speed. Sure I want to get it done ASP, but I always want it to look nice, so I take what ever time it needs. It never fails, If I'm in  hurry, I make mistakes!
Dan In Southern California

Chachi

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 11:08:58 am »
Things to remember as a scroller
1. Scrolling =fun ,relaxtion, and a goal to fiinsh a great pattern

2. Scrolling will never make you a fortune EVER!

3. Scrolling = the great feeling yuou get when you hand the finished project to someone and they get the biggest smile on their face when they ask you how much and you say nothing it is a GIFT to you and they can't thank you enough or hang/sit it in a place for all to see and tell everyone who see it that you made it for them.

4. There is no time limit on a great project if you want it to look good enough TO YOU (that is a biggie for me if it doesn't look good to me I won't give it away it becomes firewood and I start over)

5. As you become more comfortable (with the skill and the saw then you will find yourself turning up the speed little by little) your speed will increase till you are maxed out

6. The ones that do the videos on you tube and sell the products on websites all started out the same way you did (comfort with the saw speed and turns can not be taught) they have been doing it for years so give it time and you will be there one day yourself.

if there is anything that I may have missed please add them to the list I skimed over the parts that relate to this topic.

Bill P

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 12:41:15 pm »
I'm just more curious than having any concern about speed and productivity.  Lisa says slower is better.

Bill

Tim2beupinAz

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 02:09:44 pm »
I think Chachi has it right. Take your time, enjoy and relax. I and so relaxed in the shop scrolling. I usually go real slow with most of my projects because I like the sharp corners. For some reason I am real picky about how my corners look. Straight line...........who cares, as long as my corners are square.....I think if you are happy with your progress you are doing it right. If you are not happy then you are going to slow or too fast. Both of which can lead to mistakes and frustration.

Ken O.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:05:07 pm »
I agree, slower is better. I usually can't go more than 20 min without the dog nudging my leg or flopping the frisbee on my feet. "Let's go play!" Go out and wear her out, then come back and do some more.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 04:40:13 pm »
I'm just more curious than having any concern about speed and productivity.  Lisa says slower is better.

Bill
hey Bill my wife told me the same thing LOL ;) :o

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »

Bill
hey Bill my wife told me the same thing LOL ;) :o
My wife doesn't say anything at all! ::)

marmoh

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 05:35:54 pm »
Mine's way past slow .... he's at stop  :o :o :o

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:31:15 pm »
OK let's get serious now.
Back to sawing. LOL

I've watched those same videos and marveled at how quickly they make tight turns, and I wonder if saw speed is the main contributing factor to those quick turns? I don't try to go very fast on the lines and curves because I really have to concentrate on keeping my eyes focused on that teeny tiny little blade. I would like to know though just how in h-e-double toothpicks to make tight turns without breaking my blade?

I'm beyond stop, I'm in reverse, it sucks to get old.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 12:03:23 am »
Here's a simple technique to make a sharp inside corner. Cut into the corner to just past the line. Back the blade out just  little.  turn the wood 180 degrees so the blade is cutting into the wasts side. Then back the blade back into the corner. From there it's easy to just turn the blade into the next line with a sharp corner left behind.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:05:31 am by dgman »

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 01:23:41 am »
OK so if I'm reading this right you end up backing into the kerf you've just cut and just spinning the material around. That's when it goes BANG and you dig out another blade and cuss. This still didn't answer my question about whether or not blade speed makes a difference during those turns. I suspect it does but I'd like to know for sure. After a while I'm going to run out of blades and money to buy more, and the bookkeeper is going to snip my purse strings. I must be missing something here so please be patient with a slow learning old fart.
Maybe they are doing all these things on the fly in the videos, but it sure doesn't look like it.
Thanks,

Gabby
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:26:01 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi