Author Topic: How to clean a LCD Monitor....  (Read 1410 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
How to clean a LCD Monitor....
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:27 am »
How to Clean Your Laptop or Desktop LCD
By Rick Broida, PCWorld    Sep 30, 2011 11:42 AM

Recently someone asked me if it was okay to spray Windex on her monitor. I think my shriek of horror startled her. It is NOT okay to spray Windex on a monitor, nor anything else. In fact, when it comes to cleaning an LCD screen, there's a right way and a wrong way. Let's focus on the right way (natch).

For starters, turn your monitor off. In fact, if you want to eliminate any risk of shock or other electrical damage, unplug it altogether. (I really don't think this is necessary, but better safe than sorry.) There will be some moisture involved in this cleaning, and the last thing you want is for liquid to come into contact with anything powered.

Next, find a clean, soft cloth (paper towel will do, but it's far from the best choice), then dampen it with water. Don't soak it--there should be no dripping to speak of--just get it moist. And don't use anything other than water. Ammonia- and alcohol-based cleaners can ruin an LCD. If your screen is seriously gunked up, and plain water doesn't get the job done, here's a homebrow option: create a 50/50 solution of distilled water and white vinegar.

If you decide to use a spray bottle, make sure you don't spray it directly on the screen. That's because drops can seep in around the bezel (and/or land in the keyboard), and, again, moisture and electronics don't mix. What you can do is spray your water or solution onto the cloth, then wipe the screen. Use a circular motion, which is best for eliminating streaks, and apply only light pressure.

Finally, let the screen air-dry for a few minutes, or gently wipe it dry with a fresh cloth. Only when you're absolutely certain it's 100 percent dry, plug it back in and turn it on. And there you go: good as new!

Now keep those smudgy fingers of yours off that precious LCD!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: How to clean a LCD Monitor....
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:05:13 pm »
Thanks GB!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:29:24 pm »
I guess I've been fortunate, I've done everything you said not to and the darn thing still works.
I  WILL  take your advice in the future. I know ignorance of the law is no excuse. LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:37:06 am »
Or: [{url=http://work.failblog.org/2011/09/30/job-fails-troubleshooting/]Ask Google[/url] - kind of.

alien11

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:08:07 am »
GB thanks for starting this topic. I hadn't given much thought to the subject. I use what I do 'cause it seemed right, and it worked.

In reading Mr. Broida's advise there were two things that surprised me. One is his acceptance of using paper towels, and the second is his prohibition against alcohol-based solutions.

What I found from a Google search is that there are many experts dispensing advise on the subject - it almost seems that its a mystical activity. Some of the things I uncovered:

1 - Many of these experts asdvise reading the owners manual before starting to clean your screen. Great idea! I have manuals from four different manufactures. None of them addressed screen cleaning - oh well, one idead shot. But I'll come back to this.

2 - Every one of the experts "forbid" in strong language the use of paper towels, toilet paper, or tissue. These materials are either too abrasive, too prone to disintegrate leaving residue on the screen, or both. They recommend a soft cloth, or preferably a micro-fiber cloth.

3 - These other experts were split about 50/50 on the use of alcohol solutions. Interestingly, about half of those that advise no alcohol said that its ok to use a screen cleaning solution if plain water isn't sufficient. Oh yeah, many of them said don't use tap water because too many impurities - use distilled, or de-ionized water. One of the experts advising the use of a screen cleaning solution made a video of himself using such a cleaner. He first read the label which described the contents as "water and [other additives]". The thing that struck me as he showed the product in use is how quickly it dried. Reminded me of (dare I say it?) alcohol.

Getting back to 1. I contacted Samsung Support and they linked me to their cleaning advise.Here is that write-up:

General Cleaning
For general cleaning of both the frame and screen of your LCD TV, use a soft, clean, lint free, dry cloth. Most Samsung TVs come with a microfiber cloth that you can use for this purpose. Never use cleaning fluids, wax, or chemicals except as described below. Do not use water unless the instructions that came with your TV say otherwise, and only use water on the portion of the TV that the instructions say to use it on.
Cleaning Fingerprints And Greasy Smudges Off the Screen
To clean fingerprints and greasy smudges off your TV screen, get a bottle of ScreenClean screen cleaning solution or similar screen cleaner. You should be able to get it at most regular and on-line stores that sell monitors or TVs. Put a small amount of ScreenClean on a clean, soft, dry cloth, and then rub the screen gently.
Warning: Never use any type of window cleaner, soap, scouring powder, or any cleanser with solvents such as alcohol, benzene, ammonia, or paint thinner. Never use abrasive pads or paper towels. If you do, you can scratch the screen or strip the anti-glare coating off the screen and cause permanent damage.
To clean your television correctly, follow these steps:
1.   Unplug your TV before you begin.
2.   Clean the frame of your LCD TV with a soft, clean, lint free, dry cloth.
3.   To clean the screen, first try wiping gently with the soft, clean, lint free, dry cloth. If that does not work, spray ScreenClean or another screen cleaner solution onto the cloth. Never spray it directly onto your TV screen.
4.   Wipe the screen with the cloth as gently as possible. LCD TV screens are fragile and can be damaged if you press too hard.
5.   Let the screen dry completely before you plug the TV back in.
Sticker Adhesive
If you removed the stickers from your TV and have adhesive residue remaining, click here for instructions explaining how to remove the residue.

Sorry for the length of this, I hope its useful.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:19:08 am »
This line is contained in Mr. Broida's write up...
" Ammonia- and alcohol-based cleaners can ruin an LCD."

Virtually every cleaning method I have read makes this statement in some fashion...

Do Not Use Alcohol or Ammonia!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

alien11

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »
Well it seems your list of experts is more conservative than my list. It's ok to be cautious and most of the time water and light rubbing are all that's needed, but if more is required then ALCOHOL SOLUTION IS OK. As long as it is isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

This info comes from an LCD manufacturer - not the monitor or TV maker, but the guys who make the displays. Refer to:

http://www.sharpsma.com/lcds/lcd-reference-information/cleaning-lcd-panels

No disagreement about the use of ammonia.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:39 am »
No NO NO

Get  nice'n clean  Electronic cleaning wipes anti static /alcohol free safe for crt and lcd monitors.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Marshall

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:32:09 pm »
No NO NO

Get  nice'n clean  Electronic cleaning wipes anti static /alcohol free safe for crt and lcd monitors.

This what I use too ............

SMF

Teknoromi