Author Topic: 1st Computer  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Computer
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 02:10:07 am »
Hate to have your electric bill!  :o
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 11:11:16 am »
Steve...
I looked at that photo and my background in 'facilities maintenance' took over and I immediately thought...
"That room sure must get warm"
and
"I sure hope he has several circuits running from the 'box' to service that load'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 02:52:28 pm »
My dad had a computer like yours in the 80's. One of my favorite photos of me as a kid is of me and him using it when I was 2 or 3. I think about the power difference when I hand my smart phone to my 4 year-old.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 02:58:11 pm »
The cable TV box in the room is the biggest heat generator. Those things are a sin how much current they draw. The older ones with the first DVR's built in draw about as much current as a refrigerator. If you turn them off they lose their menu database and take about 20 minutes to populate the menu when you turn them back on.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:21:44 pm »
My first computer was a Commodore 64 when they didn't have floppy drives or hard drives even available yet.  type in the program, then when you turned it off you lost the program.  Most of the programs that came with it also had syntax errors.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 03:08:22 pm »
Wow, Stan. That's a beautiful set up there.  I can't imagine having anything like it, but then I wouldn't know what to do with all that anyway.

My first computer was the Compaq "lugable"  It looked very much like the Kaypro, which I also wanted.  The Compaq had two floppy drives, no hard drive and weighed 46 pounds.  I remember how I much I considered whether I needed 48 or 64 kb of ram!  Finally bought it with 64 and paid close to $3,500.  I later bought a couple of 20 mb hard drives that fit into slots for $600 each.  I really liked it and used it alot for my business at the time tracking inventory, doing budgeting, writing proposals, etc.  BTW, my first word processing program was "WordStar", which came on a 5 1/4" disc and had room to save my work onto that same disc.  Oh, and I got on line with a 1,200 baud modem. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SMF

Teknoromi