Author Topic: 1st Computer  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
1st Computer
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:35:54 pm »
KayPro II,  Not a question, but thought I'd post a picture of my first computer just for the fun of it.  I got it from a friend who had a Tech. writing business when he upgraded. It served the purpose for creating a tool inventory spread sheet and a few letters that I wrote, but that's all I used it for. It didn't have graphics capability or such. I just tossed the box of 5" Floppies I had, which reminded me of the computer. 
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: 1st Computer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:58:59 pm »
How long ago was that Al? You probably have more computing power in you wrist watch!
Dan In Southern California

Chachi

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:14:10 pm »
Wow Al what I dino Man, you just see things like that anymore I trust you gave it to the Smithsion......lol

thumbs

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:36:50 am »
about a zillon years ago a friend(?) gave me a IBM 880, without the power cord--went to the electronics store to see about the cord and the salesman said the cord was worth more than the computer--bought the cord anyway and ran a food inventory program I made up at a night school class--good old DOS--Richard aka thumbs--by the way the food program maxed out the computer

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:45:33 am »
Long, long ago from a galaxy far, far away. LOL  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:58:18 am »
I got the computer in 1987 and shortly after he gave me three more to give to friends.  They were all happy to receive them. At the time I thought it was a great substitute for having to write everything longhand. LOL

See attached for Tech Info.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 08:43:05 pm »
I am sooooo happy they came out with the windows operating system, I would never have mastered DOS, my stepson gave me my first pc and tried to teach it to me, never gonna happen!  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Davisjr

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:02:21 pm »
My first computer was a Commodore 64.

After I got my first real job back in 1988. Not too soon after I purchased my first real IBM based pc. Dual 5 1/4" floppies, Amber screen. I thought that was the top of the line. Then a few months after that I found in a newspaper ad an 8086 computer with one 5 1/4" floppy drive and 20 megabyte hard drive.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »
Oh what a wonderful trip down memory Lane!

My first was a TI99/4A!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 01:54:40 am »

I bought a TRS-80 model I in 1981. I had been going to the local Radio Shack and sitting in front of the computer until they ran me out. I actually taught myself to program at Radio Shack. One weekend I went with my father in law to the local horse race track. I won a trifacta of about $900. I knew exactly what that money would buy. I think it was $600 with a monochrome monitor and 4K of ram. It saved programs on a cassette recorder.  I loved that computer and it started a 30 year passion of computers. I lost count of the number of computers I have owned but it's some where 50+

From that to my setup today is quite a step. Multiple computers and several terabytes of storage.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 02:26:22 am »
With that setup Steve it's no wonder you can turn out a new pattern nearly every day. Have you got it programmed to do it for you yet? LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Chachi

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 09:41:04 am »
Hey steve Can I use that system for a day heck just an hour or two I have an Online Game (World of Warcraft) that I would love to play on it lol

@ Gabby heck Gabby he has it programed to make his coffee and breakfest for him while his wife sleeps, However it has to be so much eaiser to turn out a pattern useing that system for sure with all that Terrobytes of storage...

Great system set up though Steve.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 08:50:43 am »
Of course Steve has to call the Electric Supplier for the neighborhood every time he powers down to warn them of a power surge and then when he powers back up he causes a huge voltage drop in the area!

But I am guessing it is NEVER totally powered down...right Steve?

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 12:39:25 am »
GB I think that's called a brown out! LOL
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 01:46:30 am »
Actually your close GB. I have to use power from two different rooms to have everything powered up at one time. The room stays about 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house and has to have an extra AC because the central air can't keep up. I have a bit of an addictive personality. :) I have a tendency to take my hobbies to an extreme.

SMF

Teknoromi