Author Topic: About SPAM....  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
About SPAM....
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:03:07 am »
We all get SPAM I guess.  Yesterday I decided to go thru most of them and find the area to CLICK to say I DO NOT WANT TO RECEIVE AND TO BE REMOVED.  Normally most everyday I was receiving 100 or so and most were repeats at the day went on.  Well maybe by CLICKING on the REMOVE area I did the OPPOSITE.  Don't know....BUT....This morning (just 24 hours) I had ....816....

IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO BASICALLY ELIMINATE ANY SPAM?  Thanks for your help....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: About SPAM....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 11:54:09 am »
Danny
WOW 816  that beats all my records
not sure what the answer is, I assume you dont use Chrome, so dont know how other filters work.
Personally I use Chrome and G mail, it has in built filters and will automatically filter any known spam (ie anything that has been bounced around a few servers before getting to you) into its own spam box so you never see them until you go to empty it. There is still one or two that get through to the primary box but they are few and far between.
Maybe if you post back telling which browser/ E mail client you use maybe one of the other members will know more about its filters for you.

Dave

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 01:36:13 pm »
Thanks Dave for this info.  Seriously I did give Chrome a go, but just couldn't make heads nor tails at first, so inunstalled. 
AT PRESENT and have been using FIREFOX for over a couple years now.  Works Great to me. 
     I have used Yahoo for my emails for many, many years. 

Sure hope this info. can lead someone on to helping me fix this. 

Oh yea....  Since we left for Church.  Approx. 2.5 hours.........................107 spam arrived in my SPAM FOLDER.  Awful  !!!!

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 01:51:52 pm »
Danny dont worry about it then you obviously have a designated spam folder, and the spam is being filtered into it, just go to it and delete the lot.
you will never stop the skanks from sending them, but thats what the filters are there for
Dave

Offline kc0iv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »
Thanks Dave for this info.  Seriously I did give Chrome a go, but just couldn't make heads nor tails at first, so inunstalled. 
AT PRESENT and have been using FIREFOX for over a couple years now.  Works Great to me. 
     I have used Yahoo for my emails for many, many years. 

Sure hope this info. can lead someone on to helping me fix this. 

Oh yea....  Since we left for Church.  Approx. 2.5 hours.........................107 spam arrived in my SPAM FOLDER.  Awful  !!!!

I use both Firefox & Yahoo mail.  When I receive a spam message I check mark it and send it spam.  This going to take a while with this messages but once done most won't come back.

Once in the spam box you have two ways you can handle them. 

(1) Click on the spam folder and the make sure there isn't a good email among the spam.  If there is a good email then check mark it's box and send it to the in-box.  Once you have check all the e-mails there is a box at the top (just above first email) check mark it and then delete the spam.

(2) At the right of the Spam is a place you can click and it will bring up the delete function.  Click it and all the Spam messages will be deleted.

leon
kc0iv

Kansas City, MO.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 06:40:58 pm »
Leon I appreciate  your Info. about clicking on the SPAM .... trashcan symbol.  That skips the step of clicking on the lil box and then the DELETE. 

I am still SERIOUSLY WONDERING ....WHY.... all of a sudden I am getting 8 times as many SPAMS IN ONE DAY.

Still looking for a PROCEDURE to stop this.  Always Hoping...............Thanks again all..............Danny  :+}

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:17:44 pm »
Every time I have anything to do with Yahoo, I suddenly get a bunch of spam.  Now I am not saying they do it but it is strange.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:05:03 pm »
About the only real effective method I have found is to have several email addresses.  One for serious emails, friends and business and one for general and perhaps one for known spam generators.  I use a hotmail address for spam generators, Gmail for general and my own domain one for serious emails.  For me it really cuts down on the spam.  One of the other things you can do is invest in a spam guard that looks at the subject and has the ability to scan the body of the message for certain key words and when it finds them dump them into a spam folder for you to review and clear if there is nothing to keep.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 02:48:36 pm »
DW I really think your ways are Good.  Did have thoughts about doing this.  Have ran across a link for YAHOO that
lets me put what I think is SPAM automatically into the TRASH file.  Looks like Yahoo saves the Spam address that
I have checked and asks what I want done in the future.  Trash was it.  Anyway I see how this works down the road.

My Big Thanks to ALL that offered me assistance.                       Danny  :+}

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 05:13:45 pm »
Hope this will be my Last yack on this topic....  After doing the Yahoo Filter thing on lots of the Spam I am happy to say that it has been 2 HOURS and with checking the SPAM often....THERE HAS NOT BEEN ANY SPAM....  Yea!  I Happy now....  Danny  :+}

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 08:40:01 pm »
FWIW...(for what its worth) I have gravitated away from Yahoo and Firefox completely!!!

For a browser I use Maxthon Cloud Browser and for 'serious' email I use "hotmail" which is no longer available but you can get it thru .msn....

Gmail is my 'conversational' email but for the serious stuff I go with my 'hotmail' account which is very good at sending the 'crap' to the spam folder and I check it daily to see if there is something that slipped into there that I need to look at and then i just do a full delete of all the 'crap'!

Firefox has become so big & bloated that i gave up on it 2 years ago!
"Maxthon" Cloud browser is based on the IE kernel without all the Microsoft bullshit.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:52:33 am »
 I do get spam on Mozilla Firefox, yahoo, and always had it on  IE. the most I had at one time in 25, I check it every day and delete it, that way it don't  amount to much, also sometimes Steves  mail comes in spam also.  edward

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »
i eat spam with eggs mmmmm good stuff.....
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi