Author Topic: windows xp  (Read 1401 times)

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
windows xp
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:48:35 pm »
As of April 8th windows xp will no longer be available, and got a message that says something about windows upgrade assistant windows 8 setup, not sure what to do, I know other people got the same message. Really don't want to do anything until I'am sure.  edward

tdpainter

Re: windows xp
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »
Hi edward. Yes xp is on its way out, I am also left wondering what to do. XP well still work but there are a lot of security risks because there well be no more updates for Microsoft Security Essentials  from what I have been reading.and yes there are ways you can help protect yourself. So if you want to keep usng xp after april 8 One thing that I have seen was telling people to stop using interent explorer and replace it with google chrome because it is the most up to date web browser and they are going to support windows xp for a little while longer. Also they said you should disable java from your web browser Also have a up to date anti virus and spyware and malware programs but there are still other programs that you use such as  java and flash player, and others that hackers can get pass to attack your computer.  along with a few other things that you can try to help protect your computer. So everyone as a different opinion on what to do. should I take the risk and try a few of those things? or should I go out a buy a new PC that as windows 7 or 8? which is another question for another topic. So it really comes down to are you willing to take the risk for a while to see what may happen or not?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:41:01 pm »
I haven't used XP in years, I am running now win 7, vista was pretty good I thought, did start with win ME that was a mess. Win 8 is not bad once you get use to it, but thats all windows everytime a new one comes out you have to learn how to use kinda like smart phones everytime turn around there is a new one and have to learn how to use it.

You will still be able to run XP but will not get tech support or updates for it, so if there is a security patch that needs fixed you won't get it anymore. Pending on the system your PC has you can step up or upgrade the another windows, I can tell you vista needs about 4gig of memory to run great, can run less but will be sluggish, 7 can run on 2-4 but i have think its 6 or 8 gig of memory and my laptop has never bogged down.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:06:12 pm »
If you haven't heard, Best Buy is running a deal, they will do a upgrade  for 100-120 bucks, they will also give 100 bucks credit for trade ins of old computers to get a new one.

SMF

Teknoromi