Author Topic: A DUMMY needs help  (Read 1359 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
A DUMMY needs help
« on: March 25, 2014, 02:59:06 pm »
When it comes to technology, I have a brain the size of a pin head.  Never used any vector drawing program.  Just downloaded Gimp 2.8.10   Can't figure out layers & find a tab/screen that lets me toggle and or delete 1 layer.  Here is what I want, but can't figure out:

Take an image (I can do that), outline and save with the PATHS tool & print just the path. 

Is this enough information?  Please keep in mind that I'm not as smart as a 2nd grader.  Thanks for any/all help.

jerry

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: A DUMMY needs help
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:25:15 pm »
I use GIMP 2.6.2 - it's a little different, but I'd think this part is the same.
Load your image.
On the top menu, go to [Layer][New layer...]. Click OK to create a new, transparent layer the same size as your loaded image.
Use the pencil or brush tool to do your outline. This drawing will be on the NEW layer, but it looks like you're drawing over your loaded image.
Go to [Layers][Stack][Select next layer]. This will make the original loaded image the active layer.
Go to [Layers][Delete Layer]. This will delete the layer holding the image and leave just the layer with your drawing on it. It will have your drawing with a checkerboard background.
Go to [Image][Flatten Image] to fill in the empty (checkboard) parts of the layer with white (as long as white is your background fill color).

Let me know if this works.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jerry1939

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:12:32 pm »
EIEIO,

You are a true Gentleman and where a huge help.  I can only hope that we meet up in a Iowa bar, as it would be an honor for me to buy you a drink.

jerry

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:09:11 pm »
I've never been to Iowa. Now I have a good reason.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jerry1939

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:32 pm »
Dear Sir,

The invite stands, however, upon your arrival and looking around, you might think Iowa isn't much good for anything else.   ;D

jerry

SMF

Teknoromi