Author Topic: Changing file extensions  (Read 1267 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Changing file extensions
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:25:46 pm »
Should I be able to save my portrait pattern saved in .xcf format  to another format? GIMP doesn't want to save it as anything other than an .xcf file and tweaking the final image in Inkscape isn't going to happen as Inkscape doesn't recognize the .xcf file. Am I going to have to start over? Thanks, Barry.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Changing file extensions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:12:28 pm »
In GIMP, after editing the file, go to [File][Save] or [Save as] and you'll see a file save dialog. At the top, type a name like "chevy.jpg" (you need to add the extension) and it will save it as a jpg. ".gif" also works and makes a smaller file. If you don't put any extension on the name, it will save as ".xcf".
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:04:27 pm »
That may be the issue. I assumed since it provided such an extensive list of extensions it would file it with whatever extension was chosen... my bad. Explains why it kept filing under the old extension. Thank you, Barry.

Malistar22

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:45 am »
I had the same problem for a bit. It's why I think GIMP isn't as user friendly as it could be. To me, it's just more intuitive and 'easier' if I pick to export as a gif, it adds the extension for me. Not the case.

Overall though, for what it can do, it's till a heck of a bargain. lol

SMF

Teknoromi